Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
LRP hasn't realized it's no longer the only game in town and clubs soon will realize that they can get more track time, with less hassle and lower entry fees at the new facilities. What they lack in LRP's history, they compensate with better value. Doubtful LRP will be able to keep charging company store prices now that the chain stores have opened.
You're not a local, so it's understandable how/why you would underestimate the draw of this place for HPDE/track time events. This place holds a "panache" to non-racers that really cannot be overstated. The opportunity for some of these groups to be "able" to drive LRP is a terrific draw, to both "regular" guys in street cars and rich guys in Ferraris and Porches, and is the primary reason why Skip has been able to sell memberships to his LRP Club at a rate far exceeding my - and many others' - expections. As such, Skip can make a helluva lot of revenue, at significantly-reduced expense and risk, through these avenues.

But, "us racers", for the most part, don't have that much of a high regard for the track's history and reputation. To many of us, it's just another race track (though one much more convenient). And, there's a lot fewer racers than there are HPDE'rs. So, while the HPDE'rs will fill up four to five track registration events within hours, SCCA racers look upon three opportunities per year to race there as yet another choice to use discretionary time and money.

Further, are you aware that, by local ordinance, the track is only allowed a limited number of open-sound, a limited number of 103db, and a limited number of "competition" days (defined as wheel-to-wheel true racing, not testing, HPDE, or open passing)? So, by ordinance, he's only got "so" many days to sell to racing groups, and SCCA ain't the only one in town (e.g. Porsche Club, Ferrari Club, BMW club, NASA/PDA, etc). There's a lot more demand for competition time there than there are days available, so why can't he charge all he wants?

Finally, there ain't a whole lotta chain stores around; Watkins Glen is a good 5-6 hours from New York City, LRP is one; New Hampshire - no where near the draw as LRP - is over 4; Pocono - a place people stay away from in droves - is another 2. New Jersey is close to the City (2-3 hours?) and is good competition, but it ain't the saintly LRP.

Add to all of those factors the new LRP Club, which pulls many dates away from the market (so the members can drive around in their cars) and it's pretty obvious that this place will not be dropping its prices any time soon.

You're an economist, you understand what I'm saying. But, unless you spend time up here to really understand the psychological draw of this place, you can't understand why. No amount of formulas or calculations can explain it. Trust me when I tell you this place has a magnetic attraction to the gearhead that any track owner would kill for...

In the end, we (New England Region), with great foresight, chose to pursue a privately-owned club track as a solution. Once Palmer is open to our use, I suspect we'll quickly make LRP a one-event-a-year situation. Doing so will reinstate our "reverence" for that track (you don't know whatcha got until it's gone) and it will again draw a large number of racers, and make that one LRP a money-winner.

And Skip will sell those other two competition weekends to another group (or, convert them to HPDE or club weekends) without even blinking an eye.

GA