View Poll Results: What are your thoughts in wheel widths in ITB and ITC?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave rule as-is.

46 37.10%
  • Allow OEM wheels (even if wider than 6")

13 10.48%
  • Allow stock-SIZED wheels (even if wider than 6")

11 8.87%
  • Move ITC and ITB to 7" width

45 36.29%
  • Open up IT to any wheel size (that fits within fender rules)

19 15.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Wheel width, ITB, again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Greg - don't know the definition of reasonable but look here:
    I'd call those "reasonable". Not "optimal", of course; "optimal" would be 14x6, 8# wheels for $99 each .

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I'd call those "reasonable". Not "optimal", of course; "optimal" would be 13x6, 8# wheels for $99 each .

Thanks!
    Fixed
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I'd call those "reasonable". Not "optimal", of course; "optimal" would be 14x6, 8# wheels for $99 each .

Thanks!
    I'll take mine in 15x6... will even let 'em go up to 10#

jjanos's reply here makes it sound like everything's gone to crap once we started moving a coupla cars. I really don't think it's that bad. Maybe things could be further slightly improved, but we're still far better off than when we started!!!

Given the choice between keeping wide wheels and staying in A, waiting for CRX's to run me over... or moving to B, buying all different wheels, and actually being competitive... well, I guess I already made my choice, and I ain't goin' back!!! :026:
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

It sounds kinda like I am in the minority on this one but I think the 6" wheels and the small tires they require are what keep ITB so cheap...
    Mike Uhlinger

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    ...I think the 6" wheels and the small tires they require are what keep ITB so cheap...
    Actually, 15x7 stuff may be "cheaper".

Tires are a tad cheaper for 14"; for example a 205/50-15 Hoosier R6 retails for $210 versus a 205/55-14 (same circumference) retails for $197. But, if you went with 15x6 wheels then there's no savings in tires.

Plus, the popularity of 15x7 wheels means you have a lot more opportunity for better wheels at a lower price: 15x7 Enkei RFP-1 wheels at 9 pounds each can be had for $200 each, but they offer nothing in 14x6 or 15x6. Chris' examples above show you "can" get reasonable-weight wheels -- but not "optimal weight" at 9 pounds -- at a "reasonable" price -- but not $200 each. You can do that in 15x7.

Yeah, if you went 14x6 then in the long run you'll come out ahead cost-wise in tire savings, but if ultimate performance at a reasonable price is your goal (well, you "can" buy 14x6, 9# Volks for $450 each, but I don't think anyone would call that "reasonable") then you can't get there with 14x6 (or 15x6).

Let's face it: especially with Spec Miata in the ring, 15x7 is where it's at right now...go "there" and your options increase exponentially. - GA