Thread: So when is a wing legal in IT?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Just so you know, the rear spoiler you see on most ITS RX-7's came on the GXL as well. The actual lower spoiler came on the Turbo and the GTUs and was VERY rare. Check this link to the S5 model line up.
    well ok then. glad I'm wrong.

for clarification, though - the allowed factory aero parts (any car) can be UD/BD as a group only, correct? i.e. a specific factory wing and side skirt (rocker trim) combo package would allow the use of the entire package or just the wing only (skirts removed per ITCS D.8.k) but not the skirts alone. correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    ...the allowed factory aero parts (any car) can be UD/BD as a group only, correct?
    Here's where we get into yet another historical original intent versus current practice. The rule states, specifically,
    Any updated/backdated components shall be substituted as a complete assembly (engine long block, transmission/transaxle, induction system, differential/axle housing). No interchange of parts between assemblies is permitted, and all parts of an assembly shall be as originally produced for that assembly (such parts may, however, be coated, painted or plated). Additionally, it is not permitted to “create” a model or type of car by updating or backdating assemblies.
    I'm not confident the rules were originally intended to apply to anything but mechanical assemblies (as illustrated by the examples offered). Regardless of what you do, however, it's important to note the "not permitted to “create” a model" limitation.

I see the UD/BD rules as nothing more than an early variant of the new no-VIN rule. I use as a basis for deciding legality the example of bringing in somene intimately familiar with the make/model: aside from the VIN, they should not be able to determine that the car and its assemblies did not come that way from the factory. - GA