Thread: NEW Head and Neck Restraint Launching at PRI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Let me add a personal experience to the discussion....

I was asked by a manufacturer of a head restraint system to take delivery of said system and deliver it to the Delphi testing lab. I was asked to do this because I am about 30 minutes from the lab and the manufacturer was unable to be there(it was NONE of the systems being discussed here).

After arriving at Delphi, the technicians there took it form me and proceeded to attach it to the dummy on the sled. They related to me that, because they conduct these tests on a regular basis and are most familiar with the equipment, they would handle it thank you very much. I was able to watch them attach it to the dummy and then watch the test conducted. After the test, the system was put back in the box I brought it in and handed back to me.

As I read all the comments and discussion of how these things are tested, who might be able to have an impact on how the test is conducted, who might be able to do something funny to skew the test, or any other nefarious thing, that voice in the back of my head keeps saying "that isn't possible, the testing lab would never allow that to happen."

I also had the opportunity to hear some conversations of un-named major players in that room that gave me some insight as to why some things are the way they are. I must say it was a most informative day.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)

Jim........you will only see a report if it is in the public domain. If the manufacturer doesn't want you to see it, you won't.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    (or so I am told)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burchfield View Post
    Jim........you will only see a report if it is in the public domain. If the manufacturer doesn't want you to see it, you won't.
    Dave, what's to stop me, for example, being the rich basta'd that I am, LOL, from taking a Defnder, and Isaac, a HANS and an R3 and paying Delphi and or Wayne State to sled them all, then publish my findings, as reported by those facilities?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Based on previous info Gregg has provided, nothing is stopping "anyone" from stroking a big check to Delphi or Wayne State and testing all the big H&N options. This issue is that the testing is not at all cheap.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Dave, what's to stop me, for example, being the rich basta'd that I am, LOL, from taking a Defnder, and Isaac, a HANS and an R3 and paying Delphi and or Wayne State to sled them all, then publish my findings, as reported by those facilities?
    :026:
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Jake, absolutely nothing.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    (or so I am told)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burchfield View Post
    Let me add a personal experience to the discussion....

I was asked by a manufacturer of a head restraint system to take delivery of said system and deliver it to the Delphi testing lab. I was asked to do this because I am about 30 minutes from the lab and the manufacturer was unable to be there(it was NONE of the systems being discussed here).

After arriving at Delphi, the technicians there took it form me and proceeded to attach it to the dummy on the sled. They related to me that, because they conduct these tests on a regular basis and are most familiar with the equipment, they would handle it thank you very much. I was able to watch them attach it to the dummy and then watch the test conducted. After the test, the system was put back in the box I brought it in and handed back to me.

As I read all the comments and discussion of how these things are tested, who might be able to have an impact on how the test is conducted, who might be able to do something funny to skew the test, or any other nefarious thing, that voice in the back of my head keeps saying "that isn't possible, the testing lab would never allow that to happen."

I also had the opportunity to hear some conversations of un-named major players in that room that gave me some insight as to why some things are the way they are. I must say it was a most informative day.
    Indeed, it was an informative day.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Default defNder team issue DETAILED PICS

As per many of the requests we have recieved we have added some individual detailed pics to the front page of our website.

ENJOY!!!