Thread: Watkins Glen ITS Video - spectator view

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    I think the unfortunate lesson here is to always assume the slower car you are passing doesn't see you if you don't see a "point by". No doubt that can put you in some pretty precarious positions. The flip side from what I saw, was that he may have been a bit high in that portion of the corner (I have never driven WGI so I don't know the proper line) but he was ahead of the freight train and does have the right to the racing line. Tough call and bad results for all. Obviously if had no idea what or who hit him, he never saw the faster cars coming up on him, and that is a cardinal sin for slower cars in mixed fields.
    Tristian, that's the problem. If you assume the guy is going to close the door, then the majority of them have to, otherwise you get passed like you're tied to the pier. In reality, most don't.

He WAS way high, and unless I hadn't seen the pictures of the wrecked Teg first, I would have assumed he was leaving room, and nothing was going to happen. The only reason I cringed when I got to that section of the vid was because I already knew the Teg was banged up.. And why wouldn't he stay high? it's SO easy to leave room there...there is NO reason to have to dive for the apex, and it's easy flat out for most IT cars, if not all. heck, I'm flat there in the wet.

And, not only must he be looking, but he must have no blind spots. Mirrors are cheaper than wrecked race cars. The leader had JUST blown through, the fact that other cars were coming should have been NO surprise, he had two straighaways to find them in the mirrors.

Could Greg have done a better job and missed him? Maybe. But we're all sitting in our desk chairs with the clip on repeat, in his split second position I would have attempted the same thing, but I have no idea how the outcome would have been. I know I would have been thinking "Oh s8it'.........
    Last edited by lateapex911; 09-16-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com