Thread: New ITA Protege Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool. Less work.

Greg, I'm not trying to pick a fight, especially since I don't know the IT rules as well as most around here, but that doesn't make sense to me.

disable

— vb
    1. to make ineffective, unfit, or incapable, as by crippling
    2. to make or pronounce legally incapable
    3. to switch off (an electronic device)

By painting over the lights, they are rendered ineffective, and are thereby disabled. At least that's my understanding.

With regard to the light switches/turn signal indicator/wipers, it says that you may replace or relocate them, it doesn't say anything about removing them entirely.

I don't need any of that crap in my car!
    '77 Mazda RX-3
    NER SCCA E-Prod

Quote Originally Posted by team-gpracing View Post
    By painting over the lights, they are rendered ineffective, and are thereby disabled.
    $25 and a lengthy debate with an SCCA technical scrutineer in the tech shed should verify your thesis...

All exposed lites shall be taped over. Duct tape of any color is legal and asked for. How does this not render the lite Disabled, Ineffective by your definition.

Tree falls in the woods and all.

Just race the car,
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dano77 View Post
    Duct tape of any color is legal and asked for. How does this not render the lite Disabled, Ineffective by your definition.
    Was this for me, Dan?

Note that tape is not required ("may be taped or painted"). Nor, if you choose to use it, does it require opaque tape. Ergo, if the definition of "disabled" mean you can't actually see them illuminate, then we've created a different set of scrutineering standards for cars that neither need, nor choose to, cover their lamps with opaque tape.

Further, what happens if said opaque tape were to become dislodged during the course of the event? Does the prep allowance/requirement suddenly change in the middle of the race?

Covering illuminating lamps does not "disable" them, it simply moots their purpose. They still illuminate.

And this is how we get rules intorturated...and why we can't have nice things.

"Just race the car".

- GA

Wasent for you Greg. Wasent really directed at anyone, Just a statement that we are over thinking everything way to f..ing much lately. Its just supposed to be fun. Isnt it?

Dan Sheppard
    77 IT7

We have cars available for anyone looking to enjoy a race weekend without rules intorturation.
    All posts are made by a fat old guy with a crappy old car that isnt supported by a factory anymore and therefore should not be taken seriously, EVER

We buy our tires at WalMart 205/50-15 NT-01 $148.00 last all season and go faster as they wear out........

Driver Skills Development, 7's Racing Skunk Works
    it7racing.com

welcome and good luck!!

IT is a fun, good place to be... I tried to leave once and came right back
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"