Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
Step 1: Buy Factory Service Manual.
Step 2: Do what it says for a stock car.

You can ignore those two steps if you have tons of money for dyno testing, in which case you will discover that in the end steps 1 and 2 are pretty dang close to best performance even for a fully developed ITS engine. I was constantly amazed over the years I was racing Z's in IT by how many guys I made faster by undoing the crap (ie speed secrets) they had done to thier engines in favor of getting back to stock. 20wt or 10w30 for damper fluid (ie per FSM), stock piston springs, stock float levels, stock needles (no SM's or "performance regrinds", we ran N54's), stock idle mixture setting. I always chuckled to myself on the grid looking BEHIND me at all the Z's that had to keep reving the motor to keep it cleared out from too much gas while we sat quietly purring along at a pleasantly stock idle.

Go back to basics and assume nothing is correct. Remove the float chamber lids and first confirm whether or not you have the same size float pin locator tangs on the lids or two different lengths. Then make sure you have the right needle housing for the tang setup (short tang housing aft, long tangs in front). By tang I mean the protrusions that the pivot pin is captured in. I'm just going from memory here, so somebody check me. I believe the '72 carbs (4 screw) were equal tang lengths, and float level should be 14mm. Turn the lid upside down, and when you lower the float lever seat (the curved metal piece that touches the needle stem) until it touches the needle stem the distance from the inside surface of the lid to the upper (when installed, lower since we're currently upside down) flat surface of the float lever seat should be 14-15mm. That gives you 23mm of distance from the inside surface of the lid to the actual gas when all installed and running. Of course that is practically impossible to measure. In the field I just turn the float lid upside down and see of the float is about horizontal, then I unhook the float and set it in the gas and the gas level should be about 3/4 inch below the gasket lower surface (ie top of fuel bowl). Bottom line- no tricks, make it stock. If these were Z Therapy carbs, unmolested by a previous owner, I'd be surprised if there's anything wrong there but assume nothing. Stock fuel pressure was 3.4 psi, so 3.5 should be okay assuming that's what you are actually getting.

Yiou should never have gas coming out the vents. Um, you don't have Grose jets in there do you?

Thanks katman... No, they dont have grose jets and they are 4 screws... Its quite possible the fuel was building up in the carb and not coming out of the overflow. The more I think about it the more it seems to just be set too rich (float level) ((unless the needle and seat WAS stuck thus dumping excess fuel out of the overflow))

We're set to run the Turkey Trot next weekend and we'll have additional tools that'll help us with float setup. We also just finished modifying our airbox adding heat shielding between the carbs and header. Lastly, the wideband will be installed to get logged overall mixture readings.