Thread: A Corner Ballancing Story.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Betcha that isn't legal per 9.1.3.L but I would also think that if you fasten them properly, you wouldn't hear any noise, no?

Nice numbers. I especially like the front L-R numbers. Some people shoot for the best possible cross at the expense of throwing the LF-RF out of whack - and then they wonder why they get lock-up in a straight line...
    Two 1/2" grade 8 bolts per stack with grade 8 washers, the largest stack is five 10lb weights, the second is a 10lb and two 5lb'ers. So what additional reinforcement should I use maybe some 1/8" plate?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

So, I went back to Walmart and got an additional 25lbs of weight plates, for a total of 70lbs. I'm glad I asked for the re-evaluation of this car because I'm not installing an additional 30lbs. Before I started drilling holes I decided to move my fire bottle closer to the tunnel to allow the weights to be closer to the outside. I put the 50lb stack to the rear, and the 20lb stack just ahead. Then I started the ballancing again. When it was close I went ahead and marked then drilled the holes, bolted the weights in place, and futzed with the corner balance one last time. The results with a full 12 gallon tank are 2818lbs total, so I can use all but about the last 3 gallons of fuel and make weight. The final corners are: LF: 700lbs RF: 700lbs RR: 700lbs and LR: 718lbs. So, I'm starting out slightly tail heavy, but by a half tank I'll be a little nose heavy. I've also decided to go back to the oe sway bar on the rear, it's tiny like about a 1/2" bar, but it'll allow me to continue running my 550lbs/in rear springs instead of purchasing a set of 600 or 650 springs. I was running with out the rear bar, but I think the car was running a little tight, while the adjustable bar I was running on full soft was a little loose. My next race is this weekend, I'll be running ITR and STU, wish me luck :026:
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Thanks to all who wished me luck because I scored my first first, in STU. It was a well fought race aginst David Allen in an e-30.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rh3iJo3r5A[/ame]
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Here's some laps from my ITR win:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWJHPOaI0-E[/ame]

What you won't see is my car overheating ending my weekend. I've since pulled the head and discovered a very slightly burned head gasket.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Two 1/2" grade 8 bolts per stack with grade 8 washers, the largest stack is five 10lb weights, the second is a 10lb and two 5lb'ers. So what additional reinforcement should I use maybe some 1/8" plate?
    Yes - or at least 1/16" When I used to have weigh in my car (200 lb. or so) I used a rectangular plate that was about 8" x 3", with the two mounting holes about 5" apart (the weights were made about 10" x 6" and came from a stock car shop and were pre-drilled). Underneath the floor I used large and strong fender washers.

You don't want that s&*t coming loose when you roll the car!
    timo