Thread: Reliability of a used Van

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another option to think about would be an Excursion. I bought one two weeks ago off
    Ebay. At the time there where 115 of them for sale. I paid $6200 for a V-10 with 95k
    on it. The seller still had the window sticker that read $48,500. I know a little more
    money than you want to spend but talk to anybody thats ever owned one of these and
    they will agree that Excursions are pretty capable vehicles for towing and hauling.

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kolin Aspegren View Post
    Another option to think about would be an Excursion.
    Good point. I have an Excursion (diesel) now, and I love the thing. Compared to the V-10 (good engine) van it replaced, the Excursion is far, far more luxurious and more car-like, while the hose-it-out-vinyl interior, 15-passenger van offered a lot more all-around utility.

But, even though Excursions are seriously bargain-priced right now, we're talking about trucks that are starting to get outside his stated budget. But, I'd strongly suggest they're money well spent versus getting an older vehicle, even if you have to get a loan. Hell, didn't we have a later-model, low-mileage, full-up power and leather, V-10 equipped Excursion for sale here in the Classifieds for some stupid price like $5500? - GA

Yes Mike G. was selling his EX. I talked to him many times, dragged my feet and it
    was SOLD.

For sure a buyer market right now Sandro, shop around and you will find what you want at your price.

k

I guess that I will be the counter culture one in this thread. I tow with a Mitsubishi Raider aka Dodge Dakota with a 3.7 V6 and a 6 speed manual. I load the truck to the brim and pull an A2 Golf on a single axle tilt bed. It does fine. By keeping it minimal, I resist the urge to bring the entire garage. However, if you can find a Power Stroke Excursion for cheap money, that is probably the best way to go.
    ALEX WILEY

59 SAAB 750GT MINI STOCK 70-72
    67 NSU 1000TT C SEDAN 73-75
    67 NSU 1000 TTS GT5 81-82
    74 FIAT 128SL GT5 83-84
    71 DATSUN 510 MINI STOCK 89-91
    74 SAAB 99 ITB 92
    74 VOLVO 142 MINI STOCK 93-05
    84 VW GTI ITB 06-08
    87 VW GOLF GTI ITB #15 CURRENT

Default Now to hear from the opposition

Sandro,
    I've got a 2007 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7l gasoline engine (about 380hp and about 400lb/ft). I get 15+mpg dragging my 16' open, double axle trailer. It has less than 5000 miles. It has AC, auto, towing package, 8' bed, 6 disc CD changer, etc. Will sell for $15K. With gas prices dipping, this could be a daily driver. Remainder of warranty included. I know that this should be in the "For Sale" section. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

scott
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

We bought an 03 Chev full size new a few years ago as a tow veh. I shopped both Ford and GM. The GM vans had a longer wheelbase and a think had 4 wheel disks earlier than the Ford. I heard some stories of Ford drivetrain issues so settled on the GM.

It has been very reliable other than the ign coil on 1 cylinder. In mid-03 GM came out with a 6.0 motor that pulls very well. I also think the GM has a bigger rear door opening than the Ford. Its great having all the space and come in handy moving stuff.

I hate to say you may want to look at new, but I am sure you could also get a deal on one.
    Tom Broring
    Wash DC Region
    ITA Nissan Sentra SER
    HP Triumph Spitfire
    HP VW Rabbit

This one appears to still be for sale and appears to be setup very well for towing:
    https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=23879