Thread: Rear Z Drums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

After 5 laps, my car has no FRONT brakes either. No wait, we've mostly licked that one.

I am a long lost cousin of the Z, in the sense that I too am shackled with the front discs/rear drums albatross around my brake pedal. Ron and I work on each others cars, and we have both noticed the same thing. With stock compound, you can put the bias adjuster all the way back and not get much rear action (much less any lock up), stock shoes seem to last forever, and there just at much brake dirt back there.

I'm making the switch to Carbotechs or P-fields since I have to step up my program to compete with Steve's NASA fuel powered Z. Here was a suggestion I heard that seemed to me to be a BAD idea.

Put a proportioning valve in the front circuit in order to crank DOWN the front brake pressure. Hence, giving LESS front brake (bad in my view) but more rear bias (the intended result).

I say no no no no but interested in the collective wisdom of the Cult of Zness.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    . Here was a suggestion I heard that seemed to me to be a BAD idea.

Put a proportioning valve in the front circuit in order to crank DOWN the front brake pressure. Hence, giving LESS front brake (bad in my view) but more rear bias (the intended result).
    I think that is a Super Bad Idea.

The result is that you've not actually increased the absolute rear brake effectiveness at all. It remains the same. What you've done is increased the relative rear brake effectiveness in relation to the front by reducing the front effectiveness. Since the fronts are doing most of the work, your stopping distances are going to increase.

I'll not be party to rigging that one up for you, but if you do it I'll video you from BEHIND going into turn 1!

Steve or anyone else, what do Carbotechs look like? Any distinguishing marks? I've got lots of shoes with the Z spares kit, I just don't know what any of them are. And, since the ones on the car seem to be made from Everlast I've not really looked at the spare shoes in any detail.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 04-07-2008 at 07:07 PM.

They are a whiter/lighter material. Remember also that they expand making it a beeyotch to get the drums off.

Agree with you on the prop valve in the front line. Reducing the brakes that actually work ain't making no sense to this flyboy.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    They are a whiter/lighter material. Remember also that they expand making it a beeyotch to get the drums off.
    How could it be harder? The last time you and Jeffrey had to cut the drums into tiny little pieces.

Those were Carbotechs I think. Steve P. will post here. He's the one, and Rex I think, that told us about it. They swell on first use.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Carbotech shoes are painted green (kind of a British racing green). They also have a big price tag on them. But you guys are missing something about the Z.. The brakes are NOT the primary source of deceleration for that car. HINT: If you use the PRIMARY brakes too hard you might throw off a rocker arm..............
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Carbotech shoes are painted green (kind of a British racing green).If you use the PRIMARY brakes too hard you might throw off a rocker arm..............

Like someone I know did at CMP............lol

Do they make rear shoes that don't smoke the entire race? ..........lol

Sorry Steve............ I just had to rub it in.......