Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: March 09 Fast Track

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Just to validate your assertion...can you provide track records for a few tracks on that? Please also provide the ITS records so we can see if the ITR record is soft. We don't have maybe more than one ITR record up here that is faster than the ITS record - yet. Still a young class here.
    The S2000 seems to have most of the T3 lap records. You are correct, in many cases, the ITR record is currently slower than the ITS record. Here are a few good examples to show my point, I've included the ITA time as well, which should show that the ITR time is not likely to be significantly better than the ITS time:

Mid-Ohio
    ITA: 1'42.9
    ITS: 1'42.6
    ITR: 1'43.4
    T3: 1'42.2 (S2000)
    T3: 1'42.7 (Rx-8)

Grattan
    ITA: 1'29.5
    ITS: 1'29.0
    ITR: no record posted
    T3: 1'28.5 (Rx-8)

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    An IT Haiku by Kirk

Lap times mean bupkes
    Lack of speed can't be proven
    A fruitless pursuit

K
    Just want to see the support. T3 National track records aren't as fast as ITS out here.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    The original Rx-8 proposal included a dyno sheet that you said was from a full prep Grand-Am car. That sheet showed under 197 hp max. Now you say it's 'slightly' more than 199. I've heard there's a lot to gain in the computer, what exactly is 'slightly'? This is precisely why we shouldn't be using competitor supplied dyno data.

Regardless, there is absolutely no evidence that this car isn't competitve as is. The T3 Rx-8's (at the same spec weight) seem to run good ITR times, and they should be significantly faster with the increased mods allowed in IT.
    At the time of the original proposal the sheets were correct. 2 years later and a ton of dyno time have the car up above 200 rear wheel. As I said, most guys have found a way to get the stock computers up close to 200 and the Motec cars make a couple more. All numbers I am quoting are for a Dynojet with SAE correction. Certified sheets have been provided to the ITAC with those gains and as I asked in an earlier post, please send in any you might have to prove more or less and be ready to back yours up. Read a few unbiased magazine articles that all lost HP when they tried to add exhaust,intake, etc to these cars. When ITR can out qualify ITS at the ARRC, then we can talk track data. Right now most of those times are pretty soft.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

The S2000 seems to have most of the T3 lap records. You are correct, in many cases, the ITR record is currently slower than the ITS record. Here are a few good examples to show my point, I've included the ITA time as well, which should show that the ITR time is not likely to be significantly better than the ITS time:

Mid-Ohio
    ITA: 1'42.9
    ITS: 1'42.6
    ITR: 1'43.4
    T3: 1'42.2 (S2000)
    T3: 1'42.7 (Rx-8)

Grattan
    ITA: 1'29.5
    ITS: 1'29.0
    ITR: no record posted
    T3: 1'28.5 (Rx-8)
    I was hoping for some tracks that actually have some size. RA, RAmer, Watkins Glen (which I know), Sebring, Daytona, etc.

I do not buy into the fact that T3 should be running with ITR. It doesn't even really run with ITS.
    Andy Bettencourt

Like VIR

ITS: 2:14.247
    ITR: 2:15.593
    T3: 2:16.567

Roebling:
    ITS: 1:20.744
    ITR: 1:21.147
    T3: 1:22.275

As I said, ITR is still pretty soft. We can play this silly game all day and choose data to support our side. Still meaningless for car classing. Real numbers matter.
    Last edited by seckerich; 03-10-2009 at 04:58 PM.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Just want to see the support. T3 National track records aren't as fast as ITS out here.
    T3 records are slower than ITA out here!

But that's because we run almost no nationals in SFR. We're down to one annual double event in the region, so our three tracks see very little high-effort drives from those national classes.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Specifically, in San Francisco Region (race times only, there are definitely faster qualifying times):

Thunderhill:
    ITR: 2:05.555 (Z3)
    ITS: 2:05.682 (325i E36)
    ITA: 2:06.350 (RX-7)
    T3: 2:06.479 (S2000)

Infineon:
    ITR: 1:52.705 (325i E36)
    ITS: 1:51.796 (RX-7)
    ITA: 1:54.039 (Integra)
    T3: 1:54.784 (S2000)

Laguna Seca:
    ITR: 1:43.359 (Z3)
    ITS: 1:43.224 (325i E30)
    ITA: 1:43.750 (RX-7)
    T3: 1:45.420 (S2000)
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Real numbers matter.
    That would be 238.

When ITR can out qualify ITS at the ARRC, then we can talk track data.
    ITS has not yet outqualified ITR at the ARRC.

2007:
    ITR (Robertson) qualified at 1'39.8, raced at 1'39.1
    ITS (Huffmaster) qualified at 1'39.9, raced at 1'39.6

2008:
    ITR (Robertson) qualified at 1'40.3, raced at 1'41.0
    ITS (Reppert) qualified at 1'40.7, raced at 1'41.0
    Spillman, and Vansteemburg both turned 1'40.9's in the race.

As for the 2007 ARRC, that same weekend, the T3 Huffmaster Rx-8 was entered in the enduro as an ITU car, and qualified at 1'39.1 and raced at 1'39.6
    Similarly, the McMasters Rx-8 was entered in ITU and qualified at 1'43.1, but raced at 1'40.1.
    Last edited by GKR_17; 03-10-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Like VIR
    ITS: 2:14.247
    ITR: 2:15.593
    T3: 2:16.567
    Again, Huffmaster appears to have entered his T3 Rx-8 as an ITE car at the October 2006 SARRC, and turned a 2'14.6.

I have absolutely no dog in this hunt........ Those ITS/ITR Mid Ohio times are ridiculously funny. For those times to merit any attention/value some drivers names would be required attached to each time. Also with names attached the times may merit no attention for the current conversation.

I accecpt the ITA time of Joe Moser at 1.42:939.
    I accecpt the G Prod time of Steve Sargis 1.42.019.

Now compare the ITS & ITR times from Mid Ohio to the G Production of 1.42:019 time.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Quote Originally Posted by ddewhurst View Post
    For those times to merit any attention/value some drivers names would be required attached to each time.
    Mid-Ohio
    ITA: 1'42.9 Moser
    ITS: 1'42.6 Ehmer
    ITR: 1'43.4 Jones
    T3: 1'42.2 (S2000) Gilsinger
    T3: 1'42.7 (Rx-8) Huffmaster
    Last edited by GKR_17; 03-10-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Mid-Ohio
    ITA: 1'42.9 Moser
    ITS: 1'42.6 Ehmer
    ITR: 1'43.4 Jones
    T3: 1'42.2 (S2000) Gilsinger
    T3: 1'42.7 (Rx-8) Huffmaster

Please don't add more classes in an attempt to validate your position. ITS/ITR times that are similar at Mid Ohio to ITA/G Prod times are pathetic. By the way, I knew the ITA, ITS, ITR names before you posted the names.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Be sure you know what RX8 Huffmaster was driving before you post numbers. One was the GA car and the other was the T3. I know because I was crew chief on their GA car. Also factor in that he was the fastest driver in ST at the VIR GA weekend in ST. He can flat wheel a car. Either way the ITR times are still soft in many places (including the ARRC) if you are only .8 faster than ITS. If not then I think Buzz had a pretty good case for moving the RX8 to ITS. Yes, I am just kidding, but these BS lap time comparisons back up that every ITR car so far could just as well be in ITS. In most cases they would get their butt kicked. Now you see why Kirk has such a dislike for on track data.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Yeah. What he said.

K

At least out here, with only a couple of exceptions, every ITR car that has run was built since the class was created, meaning, they are still on the uphill part of the curve. These cars/drivers often set personal records every single weekend they show up, because they get faster every race. Meanwhile, the ITS records have stood for a decent amount of time and only get broken when the stars align (great weather, great track grip, great car, and great driver). Here anyway, even though the ITR track record is slower than the ITS record at 2 out of 3 tracks, it's not like the ITR cars are usually losing to the ITS cars. ITR actually is a faster class.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

If you read between the lines, the excersize was to point out that lap times don't mean much. Heck, we are getting letters on this very car using lap times as the data.

Ain't gonna fly.
    Andy Bettencourt

So is it real achievable HP in IT trim that we need to look at? Again I think this car (RX-8) is much like the S2000 where the HP potential gain is not there (handling and chassis aside). How much data do we need and what kind? Dyno plots with each mod before and after?

FWIW Any system that uses a stick style airflow meter like the RX8:

will not compensate correctly for intakes if the intake was not designed correctly (MANY of them are not). When the diameter of the intake tube changes, that changes the airflow seen by the meter. That is why the RX8 will not see the full gains of a AirBox change. Oh and the RX8 acting different on the dyno is true, at least with a stock ECU.
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS

Be sure you know what RX8 Huffmaster was driving before you post numbers. One was the GA car and the other was the T3. I know because I was crew chief on their GA car. Also factor in that he was the fastest driver in ST at the VIR GA weekend in ST. He can flat wheel a car. Either way the ITR times are still soft in many places (including the ARRC) if you are only .8 faster than ITS. If not then I think Buzz had a pretty good case for moving the RX8 to ITS. Yes, I am just kidding, but these BS lap time comparisons back up that every ITR car so far could just as well be in ITS. In most cases they would get their butt kicked. Now you see why Kirk has such a dislike for on track data.
    You'd clearly say so if it was the GA car. Plus, I know the one at the ARRC was the T3 car.

Yes, most ITR times are soft, no argument there. The point is there are T3 Rx-8's out there now that are turning competitve ITR times right now. Sure ITR will get faster, but a T3 Rx-8 will too once you build it to IT specs.

The car was classed as light as possible per the process (and didn't get the double wishbone adder, none in ITR did). There just isn't any evidence to support the need to change the weight. Either way, it's not even allowed for a few years if you read the rules, and even then only after it's shown to upset the equity of the class.

Actually, the RX8 was classed on the very high end of the "matrix" the proposal laid out, with varying values for actual stock hp (unknown at the time) and actual gain in IT trim.

To further muddy the on track data debate, an ITR 325 went 2:10/11 at VIR this weekend, with Ricky T. running a 2:14.9 in a Z3 2.8 to use as a benchmark against the 325.

The above data means nothing from a classing perspective, other than to validate my viewpoint that R cars have a LOT of time/speed left in them in development and that comparing their present lap times to T3 RX8s doesn't really get us anywhere.

You'd clearly say so if it was the GA car. Plus, I know the one at the ARRC was the T3 car.

Yes, most ITR times are soft, no argument there. The point is there are T3 Rx-8's out there now that are turning competitve ITR times right now. Sure ITR will get faster, but a T3 Rx-8 will too once you build it to IT specs.

The car was classed as light as possible per the process (and didn't get the double wishbone adder, none in ITR did). There just isn't any evidence to support the need to change the weight. Either way, it's not even allowed for a few years if you read the rules, and even then only after it's shown to upset the equity of the class.
    Last edited by JeffYoung; 03-11-2009 at 12:24 PM.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8