Thread: BFG R-1's or Kook C51's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    I know the kooks are just as fast as the Hossiers but with alot better life.
    Really? Educate me on this!

PS: I think the Goodyear RS is better than all of them.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Really? Educate me on this!

PS: I think the Goodyear RS is better than all of them.
    This only what I have read and heard. I have not personally tried either tire yet. As far as the goodyears what kind of life do you get out of them.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

This only what I have read and heard. I have not personally tried either tire yet. As far as the goodyears what kind of life do you get out of them.
    unfortunately the goodyears only come in a few sizes, and after talking to the rep at PRI, that don't plan to change (no tires for 14" wheels) Also from the rep at PRI he says that with there tires, and especially with the slicks they need to be bedded or breaked in to get maximum life out of the tire. so run a light session, come in ot the pitcs and take the weight off them and let them cool.

Aparrently this will resolve the heat cycle issue people are having with them. I have alos heard that once they get hot, they will remain consistent, where a hoosier will dramatically fall away during the race.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

They would easily do 14 cycles across 6 tires. I find that they take an extra lap to come up to speed but are 100% consistant froa race up here in the Northeast. They are also less prone to flat spotting if you make a mistake. I have never gone faster with Hoosiers than with Goodyears. They are only available in 205/50 and 225/45 15's IIRC.

I have run them for 3 years now.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 03-24-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

When I was in ITS on a 15 inch wheel I ran Goodyears - personal best on them at LRP and NHIS...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    They would easily do 14 cycles across 6 tires. I find that they take an extra lap to come up to speed but are 100% consistant froa race up here in the Northeast. They are also less prone to flat spotting if you make a mistake. I have never gone faster with Hoosiers than with Goodyears. They are only available in 205/50 and 225/45 15's IIRC.

I have run them for 3 years now.
    So what is the best method you use to heat cycle them in? I can still drive my car on the street so I would consider running the fronts only for a good 10-15 minutes change and repeat. Cool in dark basement
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

I've run Kooks and Hoosiers on my car back to back. The Kooks are great, but the Purple is greater. The Kooks do seem to last, with a gradual fall away.

The Kooks seem like they have tow golden laps right out of the gate.

Generally speaking, cycling requires you to get the tires up to temp...really up to temp. Street driving, unless you have a closed off development with lots of corners, just isn't practical.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Anyone have any comparative advice about the BFG? I just bought a set to try in 2 weeks after 3+ years on the Hoosier. What's the best break-in approach, do they need a heat cycle, what temps/pressures do they like relative to Hoosier, etc?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Anyone have any comparative advice about the BFG? I just bought a set to try in 2 weeks after 3+ years on the Hoosier. What's the best break-in approach, do they need a heat cycle, what temps/pressures do they like relative to Hoosier, etc?
    BFG recommends one heat cycle, then let them sit for 24 hrs. Pressures appear to be in the Hoosier range - they have a pretty good guide for the R1 here.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Please start a thread on this when you get back from the track. I'm pretty tempted to try them, but neither my budget nor schedule allow much experimentation.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

How did it go?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I've run Kooks and Hoosiers on my car back to back. Street driving, unless you have a closed off development with lots of corners, just isn't practical.
    I was thinking of 4 to 5 miles of 75-80mph plus some cornering. Seems to me that a local autocross 1-2 runs back to back would work as well.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!