Thread: Sources for STU sized Wing??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks, Greg. personal opinion, rumor, and innuendo aside, I think you're a pretty OK guy....

Based on the response from my letter back in August, I figured they were pretty dead-set on the 8.5" number and can see why.

As for the chord length measurement, you cornfused me with your explanation.. as I understood it, it was the total length, end to end. i.e. if you stuck a set of huge calipers over the ends of it, the total measurement would be the chord length. See attach drawing of simplified shape.. would the chord length be 6" or 4"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    ... as I understood it, it was the total length, end to end. i.e. if you stuck a set of huge calipers over the ends of it, the total measurement would be the chord length. See attach drawing of simplified shape.. would the chord length be 6" or 4"?
    In your simple example, the wing chord would be 6", as that measurement is from the center of each radii.

However, consider the case of a cambered wing (sorry for the image from Wikipedia):

The wing chord is the straight-line distance from point 2 to point 7; you can see that this cannot be accurately measured with a caliper.

GA

On edit: this image is from this reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_airfoil
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-08-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Makes more sense now.. although measuring end to end on a wing the size we're talking about would be within a few hundredths probably..