Thread: What does a SCCA IT race car look like...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I totally appreciate that and many of us did what ever it took to make it. However, how many people are willing to make those sacrifices? Multiple days off from work, long tow, unfamiliar track which can make the school even more intimidating, time away from home (potentially a not enthusiastic wife; maybe kids).

NASA does, or at least did, a great job incorporating the schools into their raceweekend. It makes it more attractive to partipate.

We talk about how car counts are down. Not sure why regions couldn't fill one or two sessions with HPDEs. It's pretty obvious that SCCA needs to modify it's structure a bit and how events are held.

Upcoming HPDE at Lime rock has been sold out for a bit now. $345 for one day, 4 sessions per driver, 3 groups plus one for instructors. There are people out there willing to pay for track time.

I can tell you a much easier way. Run a couple chumpcar/lemons races then ask the SCCA divisional licensing administrator for a novice license.
    That's the problem. We continue to sell people on SCCA's program, suggest they go somewhere else to get started, and expect them to come back. A person starts in chump/lemons, makes friends, has a good time... They're probably going to stay there for a while.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    NASA does, or at least did, a great job incorporating the schools into their raceweekend. It makes it more attractive to partipate.

We talk about how car counts are down. Not sure why regions couldn't fill one or two sessions with HPDEs. It's pretty obvious that SCCA needs to modify it's structure a bit and how events are held.

CFR is doing just what you are suggesting with their two schools. The Daytona school is run in conjunction with a PDX. They just use a tiny infield course so it's perfect for PDX, but wouldn't be so hot for a regular Club Racing event. When they do the school on Sebring short course they have the school sessions, PDX sessions, a vintage group, and a Spec car (SM/SRF) enduro. When I ran the school they had several experienced racers who wanted track time mixed in with our run groups, and I know it really helped me pick up lines. IMHO I'm not sure why SCCA has traditionally run schools as completely stand alone events. There's no reason you can't mix at least some race group sessions in with them.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."