Dicks right, we have an embarrassment of riches. At the same time, we have a shortage of resources. And Jerry's right, it's freedom of choice.

And in the end the free market will decide these things.

I live outside NYC on the CT coast. If I draw a circle from my house that is a 5 hour tow, I'm at NHMS in 3.5, WGI in 5 LRP in 1.5, Pocono in 3.5, NJMP in 4 or so. (And then there's Palmer, maybe)

So for me, conflicting event weekends are certainly a decision. But honestly, it's probably irrelevant whether they are on the SAME date, as I'm not super likely to attend both on back to back weekends.

And, yes, it's freedom of choice that a Region hosts an event, and it's my choices as to which one to attend. But, do we have enough racers (a resource to the region) and do we have enough workers (another resource) to support the number of events?

The market will decide that.

As for Region desirability, as a long time NER member, racer, worker and supporter, honestly, the region hosting the event isn't high on my list of priorities when choosing an event. The event (double, single, etc), the track, the date and how it fits my other races and life events, are all much higher priorities. Given the choice of a double at NHMS run by NER (known great events) and a double at Watkins Glen, I'll tow the 3 hours round trip extra to the Glen, unless there are points that I need to get for a championship at stake in NHMS.
I can't speak for all racers, but I'd be surprised that my view wasn't the majority view. I DO think the workers though, are much more region centric. But, they are tempted by the chance to work pro events... everybody has his weak spot, LOL.

In the end Jerry, I think it boils down to the use of the resources available. If the regions can make a go of it, and not burn up the resources, then fine. But I've seen signs that the resources run thin at times. Think Lime Rock and MoHud) It's a tough act to balance, that's for sure, and I know you've got shoes that not many would be able to, or willing to fill!