Thread: Lightning Results

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    It doesn't look to me like the ITS driver made any decision at all. I think he didn't know what was happening. The leaders in another class were about to lap him, towards the end of the race. They were battling. I'm surprised he didn't just stay way outside and let everyone through. I know I never want to mess up a good battle for the lead.
    There was plenty of room for them to get by and the ITS car isn't to blame for this. If I was writing an incident report, this is what I'd have put down.

Car 33 dropped 2 wheels to the inside of the curb of the right-hand turn and, upon reentering the pavement, appeared to be out of control. Car 33 then hit car 69, (LF to RR). This upset car 69 and both cars remained in side-to-side contact. Car 69 appeared to have attempted to avoid further contact (by evidence of brake lights) while car 33 did not (note absence of brake lights).

The ITS car, number unknown, left sufficient racing room (2.25 car widths or more) to driver's left for both car 33 and car 69 to navigate the turn. At this point, neither Car 33 or Car 69, made the turn-in for the LH turn. Car 69 was on the brakes well before contact. Car 33 was not.

As the unknown S car attempted to navigate the turn from far DR, the ITB mass struck the unknown car. Immediately prior to contact, car 33 finally applied his brakes.
    Moreover, 33 didn't need to hop the curb at the turn. Car 69 left sufficient room for him.

The Z car didn't move over on anybody. Tristan hit Reece and never lifted when he did it. Reece starts to rotate around Tristan's nose and gets on the brakes. They go straight and as the Z car tries to make the turn, they hit him. If the Z car had stayed to the white line on DR, he still would have been hit - neither Tristan or Reece were going to make that turn. Kee-rist, Reece is point to DR for a left turn and it's entirely because Tristan is rotating him around and not doing anything to keep from picking Reece.

Moreover, if the Z had been that far out, hit have been hit a heck of alot harder because both B cars were going to straight line that turn.

@Josh: isn't it all about results? Especially when you are in the battle for the lead why would you risk everything with a move like this? We can all see what the outcome was.
    Sometimes less is more.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

IIRC, this was the last lap. Just a point of info.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

So what Andy. He could have set-up the pass differently or worst case, the ash tray he received at the end of the race might have to be a bit smaller. It's not just about one race. When people do silly things it also has a future impact on how they're raced again in the future.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    So what Andy. He could have set-up the pass differently or worst case, the ash tray he received at the end of the race might have to be a bit smaller. It's not just about one race. When people do silly things it also has a future impact on how they're raced again in the future.
    Dave,

I made no defense or implication. Just told everyone when it was because someone asked earlier in the thread. I watched it all unfold from the top of the toter.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    There was plenty of room for them to get by and the ITS car isn't to blame for this. If I was writing an incident report, this is what I'd have put down.
    Car 33 dropped 2 wheels to the inside of the curb of the right-hand turn and, upon reentering the pavement, appeared to be out of control. Car 33 then hit car 69, (LF to RR). This upset car 69 and both cars remained in side-to-side contact. Car 69 appeared to have attempted to avoid further contact (by evidence of brake lights) while car 33 did not (note absence of brake lights).

The ITS car, number unknown, left sufficient racing room (2.25 car widths or more) to driver's left for both car 33 and car 69 to navigate the turn. At this point, neither Car 33 or Car 69, made the turn-in for the LH turn. Car 69 was on the brakes well before contact. Car 33 was not.

As the unknown S car attempted to navigate the turn from far DR, the ITB mass struck the unknown car. Immediately prior to contact, car 33 finally applied his brakes.
    Moreover, 33 didn't need to hop the curb at the turn. Car 69 left sufficient room for him.

The Z car didn't move over on anybody. Tristan hit Reece and never lifted when he did it. Reece starts to rotate around Tristan's nose and gets on the brakes. They go straight and as the Z car tries to make the turn, they hit him. If the Z car had stayed to the white line on DR, he still would have been hit - neither Tristan or Reece were going to make that turn. Kee-rist, Reece is point to DR for a left turn and it's entirely because Tristan is rotating him around and not doing anything to keep from picking Reece.

Moreover, if the Z had been that far out, hit have been hit a heck of alot harder because both B cars were going to straight line that turn.
    Fair enough. I guess I missed that there was contact before between the B cars prior to the corner, and I missed the timing of brake application.

Is there some way to watch these videos in slow motion that I don't know about?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe