Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Chaos View Post
So this makes it 29 classes at the 2012 Runoffs?
Haven't counted them but...a conditional "no". As I understand it, with the dispensing of the 2.5 rule the BoD has given the CRB authority to make the decision on who can go the Runoffs. I am not privvy to any specifics, but I'm inferring that the CRB will take that authority and ensure that the Runoffs has a reasonable number of groups (for maximum track time) as well as a reasonable number of classes/entries to best use those groups.

<Greg's completely unqualified opinion>
This will probably mean that a lot of groups will be combined; read: smaller entry numbers will likely be combined into same groups, a la STL with STU for 2012. Really lower-entry classes will possibly retain their "National" status but not be invited to the Runoffs at all (so fewer classes overall). If, how, when, where this will be done I'm sure is under discussion.
</Greg's completely unqualified opinion>

What it means for STL, specifically, for 2012 is that we can compete as STL during the year, and I think we can crown Divisional STL champions, but when we go to the Runoffs in September we will be entered as STU cars. As such, we will not have a STL National champion until 2013, though I will plan on spearheading some informal effort to visually identify all cars in the STU group that mutually agree to prep to the lesser STL rules (versus wider mods of STU) and we'll have our own "informal" champion (likely crowned with lots of beer.)

For 2013 we go for it.

I encourage IT and SM competitors to continue to enter STL and STU as double-dippers, and when you're ready to build a full-up STU and/or STL car, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Now, since I'm kinda feeling like the dog that somehow finally caught the postal truck and suddenly realizes he actually doesn't know what to do with it, I think I'll go into the garage and rub my car.

GA