Thread: ITA CRX SI rear brake shoe choice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Really? Do you remember if it was the same 912 compound, or if it was a different one?

It's entirely possible that I wasn't braking enough to really use up the pads. It was a long time ago and my driving has come a long way since then.
    Roger Maeda - #7 ITS Honda Prelude Si
    South Jersey Region

Quote Originally Posted by boxedfox View Post
    Really? Do you remember if it was the same 912 compound, or if it was a different one?

It's entirely possible that I wasn't braking enough to really use up the pads. It was a long time ago and my driving has come a long way since then.
    I'd be lying if I told you I remembered for sure... I went and checked their site to see if I recognized the compound. The "kelated metallic" term definitely rings a bell but that just means it was either the 912 or 913 *or* maybe a discontinued compound?? I think it would have been circa 2007-ish so things could certainly have changed since then though.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Gotcha. That's pretty interesting actually. Makes me want to find a rear drum car to try them on now.

Just for reference, I had those shoes around '09 or '10, right before I switched to the Prelude.
    Roger Maeda - #7 ITS Honda Prelude Si
    South Jersey Region

Beata88 Guest

That's pretty interesting actually

Bump for front pad recommendations. I used Hawk Blues which I found fine in feel and had great life. Then went to DTC60 and they went to shit halfway through the ARRC, they felt great for like a session and a half. I'll run a half used set of Blues for the ice, but want to try something new for the Spring.

TIA

Will

If you're going to stay w/ Hawk, go with the DTC70. IMHO, they perform almost exactly like the 60's except they don't go away.

A lot of us, however, have moved to Raybestos ST-43's, which are custom cut by Porterfield. They wear like iron, have a large temp range, and you'll never have to worry about bending backing plates, because they're waterjetted from NASCAR pads. Having used them for years on the CRX, that's what I plan on using with the new race car (a '96 Civic EX).
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Thanks a lot Gregg. I'll call Raceshopper to inquire about the ST-43, I'm in no way married to the Hawks. I just want something that'll work and be consistent.

The backing plate was the issue on the DTC60, one pad had a palpable bend to it, like 3/8", and tremendous wear.