Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
Racing a 240SX here.. Can't tell you how many times I get the "What's the drift car doing Club Racing?" jokes. (especially when it rains and the no-electronics-nannies RWD car starts getting more tail happy than usual)..
most of the world running them didn't want to touch the class because the SR20DET wasn't legal. With its homologation, they chokes down the inlet restrictor -2mm less than any of the other turbo cars.. Since I don't have the budget to do a full-on engine build and "prove" it can't make the power before asking, I'm not even going to waste my time to spend money I don't have and still get out-powered by a Solstice for another year....

so yeah.. I feel your pain when you talk about pissing off the 'tuners'.....
I was speaking specifically about STL - but I agree that the way we have treated JDM/EDM motors with additionally restricitve TIRs and additional weight penalties just because they are not USDM is part of why specifically STL hasn't caught on with the hot hatch crowd. SR20VE's, 20V 4AGE's (now allowed at +2.5% weight), etc... are all popular swaps that allow existing cars better options for the class AND often have a certain "cool" factor that likely outweighs their ACTUAL performance capabilities under the allowed mods of STL (but... perception = reality, in this case at the CRB level). the SR20DET and RB25/26DET/TT's are EXACTLY the type of motors that could bring more J-Tin to STU. Excluding them or allowing them but cuttting their nuts off (wether it did or did not, again, perception is reality) isn't helping the cause AND perpetuates the "SCCA is not a place for me" mindset of a bunch of the people we could have reached with this class.

best chance for STL and to some degree STU is to get it out from under SCCA, which I hate to say as I'm a lifelong SCCA guy, but I'm pretty sure it's true.