Thread: Racing my datsun 210 in ITC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Holy sheet!!!

That sounds worse than my Jensen experience. I didn't know about that stuff, man, those are hard times. I'll spot you some beer at the next outing.

R
    Thanks!

you don't remember the 3 Cylinder X1/9 running the ECR on the North Course? that was a baptism.... litteraly. Ed came in w 20 min to go in the race, parked the car and waited till it got near the end. we pushed it up to the line and when the threw the checkered, he hit the starter button... blowing coolant all over us, but crossing and finshing my first race! ::026:

and as for the Jenson... dude, nothing is worse that a car trying to perform a Castration! did you dump that on some poor vintage racer yet?
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

He GAVE it away to some guy who put a 13B in it. No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by iambhooper View Post
    Thanks!

you don't remember the 3 Cylinder X1/9 running the ECR on the North Course? that was a baptism.... litteraly. Ed came in w 20 min to go in the race, parked the car and waited till it got near the end. we pushed it up to the line and when the threw the checkered, he hit the starter button... blowing coolant all over us, but crossing and finshing my first race! ::026:

and as for the Jenson... dude, nothing is worse that a car trying to perform a Castration! did you dump that on some poor vintage racer yet?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    He GAVE it away to some guy who put a 13B in it. No kidding.

So they can circumsise themselves with a Wankle?!

eh, we all make mistakes.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

AH, the jensen drivetrain spinning even faster!

Just one last word on the buy don't build thing. I've been racing my RX-7 for years. I need to move on. But, I've got some predetermined notions about the class, and the type of car, and jeeez, there just aren't that many 'buy' options. And I know how much of an uphill climb building is...

..so I keep looking.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Like everyone else is saying, buy a built car. My last car started out as a $1000 ITB car and I converted it over to G prod. Over the course of three years I probably ended up with well over 8 grand in the thing, probably more and got less than 5 for it when I sold it. If I really tried it could have been very good nationally.

I am saving right now for another car and there are a ton of good bargains in the 3 to 4 grand range that you could never come close to duplicating. Patience is definately a virtue.
    John McFarland
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH

Buy a used race car. You will spend at most 25 cents on the dollar vs building a car. And don't worry, there will be plenty of things to do on your "new" used racecar. I also suggest buying a car as it comes off the track if you can. Look for a car with lots of "good" spares. You will need spare rims, engine and transmission. IT requires stock brakes. Your datsun 210 has not been made for many years. Spare parts could become an issue. Nissan has also stopped supporting hobby racers. Welcome to our addiction. The advice to go and help out at the track is also good advice. If I had taken the time to look more into racing, I would be racing a formula vee now. I did not know a sole when I got into racing, and the internet had not been invented. I bought a VW scirocco out of someone's driveway and spent $5000 to get it to my first school. Don't forget, you need a fire system, belts, racing seat, and helmet.