Thread: GMs in IT

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    The only problem with that (well, not the only, but the major problem) is the same problem its younger cousin has in ITR, but worse; the weight. All the 4th gen cars all weigh about the same - ~3300 lbs. Add a cage and a driver, and you'll need to drop almost 1000 lbs to get to the ITS weight.

I'm pretty sure the ITAC & CRB don't agree (we should find out this month), but I think those cars should be classed in the lower class at a heavier weight, i.e. the 3.8 should be in ITS at ~3200 lbs and the 3.4 should be in ITA at the same weight. Even then I think they would both be mid-pack cars.
    I'm not a 4th generation Camaro guru and I'm assuming your not quoting marketing/magazine/web curb weights, but the Mustang hasn't played out as badly as predicted. With the stang it is more a question of dropping few hundreds of pounds, not many hundreds of pounds. Any chance of a real-world V6 T5 Camaro in street trim coming in at 3100-3200 lbs with a light driver sitting in the seat?

I haven't been asked but I don't think a 3.8L V6 Camaro in ITS at 3XXX lbs would be that attractive. It'd have the juice though. I'm not much up on ITA, but I wouldn't fancy my chances with a 3XXX lbs weight in ITA either. I think I'd rather race a 3.4L V6 Camaro a couple of hundred pounds over spec weight in ITS than race it in ITA at its curb weight. But, there again, I don't have much Camaro experience. Is the CRB/ITAC considering re-classing the Camaro?

I do like the Camaro classed in ITR though at around 2800 lbs. That weight seems obtainable, the chassis has some good features, and the motor should be able to make power needed for the class. Bummer that the 3.4L ITS version has rear drum brakes - I swore those off when I sold the Z.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 10-05-2011 at 04:00 PM.