Thread: Golf spec

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We ran two NASA races this Summer,(Teen Challenge SM). Hyperfest, and MidOhio. Lots if cars. There was only one VW in some PT class. Lots of E30, 944, spec cars. The races were non stop battles. NASA does a good job. They seem to bring a lot of big money cars. The spec racing was very tight and well subcribed.
    There are more E30 cars than CFR gets for ITB.
    I am sure that we can run a small Spec V, ITV, class, with the A 1 cars, 8V, A2cars and the stock manifold, gearset, A2 16V.
    Basic rule set; A1 ,1.8 8V, any head, 10/1 compression, spec cam or stock cam. 3.94 final gear. Any header, weight .2270#
    A2 8V, Hydro head, 10/1, any header. 2270# 3.94 gear
    A2 16V, stock cams, stock exhaust, stock gearset, 2270# (3.67x091 gear)
    I would discourage the 4.22 gear, because it is NLA, and stuff explodes sooner with it. I am up in the air with welded diffs. I love racing with them but they create their own problems, both driving style and prep issues.
    Of course, the weights will be adjusted to balance any markedly fast model combination. The goal is equality. I know that it is a bit to swallow , if you spent 20k to dominate ITB.( our ministock VW had 75# added to reduce our domination, this year)
    I am not opposed to back dating the Scirocco with the hydro 1.8 @ 2350#.
    If you have looked for any 1.5 or 1.6 parts , you may like this route.
    I am aware of the anti Spec people and respect that opinion. I like to race, the closer the cars, the better the race.
    I am open to suggestions,(that are printable)
    I will do all that I can to make this work and fun.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Is this for the 1.8? What would it add (if any) for the 2.0?
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

Watching with interest, then...

Taking minor liberties, I've pulled out the outcomes that you anticipate for this venture:

** Increase the resale value of VW racing cars with prep levels similar to IT

** Attract fields of "10 or 20" cars "going the same speed"

** Get a lot of VWs that are "sitting around because they are less than competitive" out on the race track

** Find a place for the 16v (1.8, 2.0, both?) to race where it won't be "outclassed"

** Balance the cars with weight and engine build sheets to achieve on-track equity among "all VW ITB or 16V, ITA cars, and maybe 2.0 with some restrictions

** Keep the racers happy; help get the slower cars get up to speed

Is that an accurate summary?

K
    Last edited by Knestis; 09-21-2009 at 07:50 PM.

K. Pretty well summarized.Thanks,
    RE, 2.0, that should work, but will need a lot of weight, maybe 200#. It makes a lot more torque than the 1.8. Long run, the 1.8 will cost less tires, brakes and overall weight. 6 in wide wheels. though for now.
    I will consider tires and wheels , when I get info on current fitments.
    I wil try to get the run group in ITB. The target times are there.
    If someone wants to start a Yahoo group for info sharing, lets get it going. [email protected] 352/428/8983 cell.
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 09-01-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I like it. I would love to race with a bunch of VW's that are relativly close in speed. For me, not only would it be a fun group to run in, but it would help me to learn set-up and improve on my driving skills as the idea is to have cars that are close to the same, correct?
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

Too bad my geographic location is outside the area under discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    I would discourage the 4.22 gear, because it is NLA, and stuff explodes sooner with it.
    I'm curious about this point. Since it's allowed by the IT rules why the aversion? Concerns about engine longevity rather than performance gains?

The 4.2 R&P is still available:
    http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/pro...er=020409143AG
    And shorter R&P from an 8V GTI should also fit for something around 3.9.