Thread: Minimum weight display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by betamotorsports View Post
    Here in Cal Club tech we view a competitor's weight as a private matter.
    Can you help me understand why you view it as a private matter? If you are weighing cars for compliance, to me, it should be VERY public.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    If you are weighing cars for compliance, to me, it should be VERY public.
    Exactly. At WDCR events we do turn off the display that's visible to the driver when rolling over after a race. That's more of a precaution so that the driver doesn't summon his crew and have some additional ballast dumped into the car prior to being rolled back over the scales.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Exactly. At WDCR events we do turn off the display that's visible to the driver when rolling over after a race. That's more of a precaution so that the driver doesn't summon his crew and have some additional ballast dumped into the car prior to being rolled back over the scales.
    That still has never made sense to me. The tech shed is a physical building and a controlled space so there should be no crew there to add ballast. As the driver I want to see the same data that the tech crew is seeing to determine my legality. It just removes another potential source of protest in my humble opinion.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

My point being that as soon as you roll out of that building into that immense SPR impound area, which is not 100% under the watchful eye of the inspectors, something that weighs a few pounds (large buckets of water/ice, tools, etc) could find its way into the car before its pulled back into the shed and across the scales.

I've seen that attempted in a few places (like VIR).
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Can you help me understand why you view it as a private matter? If you are weighing cars for compliance, to me, it should be VERY public.
    Weight compliance is a pass/fail item - there's no gray area. Tech does not care what the vehicle weight is unless its non-compliant. We also feel that what a competitor's car weighs is a competitive secret and its not up to us to disclose that information. Most IT competitors joke about their car weights complaining how heavy the car is or how heavy they are personally. That's fine with us, but we do not presume to start that discussion.