Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why would anyone buy a unit that is not SFI rated and will be rendered useless in a year or two. NASA, PBOC all require a SFI 38.1 unit and SCCA is soon to follow. Buy one that meets the requirements and be done with it.

If people would stop buying the NON SFI 38.1 units now they would be forced to make a choice. Go out of business or redesign theirs to meet the requirements.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Pritchett View Post
    Why would anyone buy a unit that is not SFI rated and will be rendered useless in a year or two. NASA, PBOC all require a SFI 38.1 unit and SCCA is soon to follow. Buy one that meets the requirements and be done with it.

If people would stop buying the NON SFI 38.1 units now they would be forced to make a choice. Go out of business or redesign theirs to meet the requirements.
    Perhaps the hope that the powers that be will allow a non-SFI restraint system that's been tested to be better than some of the other more popular brands before the deadline.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Of course, that's a helluva gamble to take these days, with your own money...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Well I am far from being an expert and do not claim to know which one is better then the other. I am also not saying I agree with the SFI but unfortunately in life if we want to play in their sand box we have to play by their rules or go find another sand box to play in. With that in mind though the single point release rule has been in effect long before this debate started and is probably there for very valid reason.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

I agree. I'd prefer just on release point but there are comprimises with all systems out there. When looking at them, I evaluated which had comprimises that I felt would impact me the least. I personally put a heavier weight on side impacts than I did a fire where I'm knocked out and corner workers couldn't get both release points off and didn't have a knife to cut the belts. I feel with the car I drive, it's much more likely that I'd suffer a crash than a fire that go inside the cockpit of the car. That's just me though.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

It's important to keep in mind the original intent of this old single release rule. Written at a time when there was very little safety equipment in the car -- no side nets, winged seats or H&N restraints you had to wear -- the general idea was that getting out of the seat is good enough, and back then it was true. Getting out of the seat meant you could get out of the car.

This is not true today, and drivers using SFI-designed H&N restraints have been trapped in burning cars: http://www.isaacdirect.com/SFI.html. (Was the SCCA driver who burned to death at Daytona last year was using an SFI design?)

We sell product to people who cannot, under any circumstances, exit their car using an SFI-design product. Meanwhile we have never had an Isaac product returned because of concern about egress. Never. Ask someone who uses an Isaac product about this, and then ask yourself why the people who complain about Isaac and single release have never used it. It's laughable; it's like a virgin complaining about sex.

Safety advances in motorsports are never incremental, so here's what will happen:

1. An Isaac user will have their Isaac taken away from them.
    2. They will be forced to use an SFI design.
    3. They will have a fire or side impact, or lose their shoulder belts.
    4. They will die (or end up a quad).
    5. The SCCA will get sued into the next dimension.
    6. The jury, which has never heard of SFI, will find gross negligence.
    7. The gross negligence finding means there is no insurance.
    8. SCCA tanks.

Then the rules will change.

(That's the "lite" version.)

Think this isn't already being set up?

http://www.fortheracer.com/
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Pritchett View Post
    <Snip> With that in mind though the single point release rule has been in effect long before this debate started and is probably there for very valid reason.
    How does the Issacs violates the single point release anymore than your coolsuit connection, radio connection or fresh air connection?

On edit: Also, why does Hans offer "quick disconnects" to their device? Because it impedes egress maybe?
    Last edited by EV; 03-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by EV View Post
    Also, why does Hans offer "quick disconnects" to their device? Because it impedes egress maybe?
    I've heard that's their most popular option.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Gregg, did you just create that site?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing