Thread: ITR Mustang

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ron:

Serious, the combination of brake torque plus whatever heat does cause these calipers to deform. They are soft, crappy pieces. Lightweight as heck, but still soft and crappy. They splay out where the outer pad retaining "fingers" are located. Once this happens, the pads take a serious beating in localized areas.

My cooling set-up is pretty basic: run a 3" tube to the inside of each rotor. I bought some brake spindle connections from Quantum Motorsports that allow me to run that size tube to the rotor, aimed not at the rotor center but just above. Perhaps not optimal, but after experiencing the limitations of the Mustang's brakes at Beaverun and Gingerman for the first time this past year, I'm thinking that some special pieces will need to be fabbed to get the air to a better location. And while using larger tubes...And more tubes... BTW, My intakes use the faux foglight locations to the max.

You mentioned something about slotted rotors. I assume you meant vented unless I'm mistaken and the GCR now allows the use of true aftermarket racing rotors with surface cooling slots. The Mustang OE rotors are simple bald-faced bits, but vented.

Yeah, when you have any ideas on this topic, I'd be eager to hear them!

Happy holidays to all!
    Last edited by RedMisted; 12-22-2009 at 09:21 AM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series