Thread: ITS Ford Mustang(s) Build - Stripper Stang Part II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How many times did you have to adjust the rear drums out Friday? Tune the carbs? Lock down the rocker arm adjusters?

On the serious side congrats. Friday must have been very satisfying. A couple of questions. Obviously you find it more driveable than a Z, but by comparison does it feel like a heavier car? Only Stang I ever drove was Tim's Cobra, and it was very heavy and felt that way. Also I'm curious as to how far your times were from what you normally ran with the Z at VIR.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve35 View Post
    As I said before Ron, you need to write a book on the build. I'll buy the first one. You are the new source on V6 Mustangs.

Steve
    Heck no, there are folks far more knowledgeable than we are - we're learning from Dave Brown, Ron, and all the ITB Mustangers, as well as all the AS guys, AIX folks, and so on. Fox/SN95 are really similar, except for the tiny little cosmetic differences, and the basic principles apply. We appreciate all the help that folks have given us.

Quote Originally Posted by spawpoet View Post
    How many times did you have to adjust the rear drums out Friday? Tune the carbs? Lock down the rocker arm adjusters?

On the serious side congrats. Friday must have been very satisfying. A couple of questions. Obviously you find it more driveable than a Z, but by comparison does it feel like a heavier car? Only Stang I ever drove was Tim's Cobra, and it was very heavy and felt that way. Also I'm curious as to how far your times were from what you normally ran with the Z at VIR.
    None. None. And None. That was a good day.

Mustang V1.0 is a mixed bag. It is heavier than my Z by a couple hundred pounds, but, while you can feel that the times don't show it that much. The best I ever ran in my Z at VIR was a 2:17.x, Jeff Young a 2.17.1, and while we have a slight power advantage on the Mustang we're dealing with a huge handling deficit - Mustang V1.0 simple isn't as tuned and developed as the 260Z. And, comparing lap times from a Z in 2010, dyno results from 2009 and 2012, well, none of that can be good science. That said, I'm pleased we were able to turn times that were somewhat competitive and I feel we can best those times with development.

We're looking forward to doing more development and getting the cars competitive. Next up on deck is Jeff G's Mustang that already has changes, ones we put in this morning, that we think will improve it over Sleestak.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 05-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.

The red car went out for a 30 minute shake down run. All is good. We did discover a radiator hose with a leak of some type that we'll fix. Being able to run a car on the street is a valuable thing, especially with new cars.

So, I'm thinking Jeff G will make the CMP Memorial Monster, at least for the test day. Sleestak will be there as well. Oh, BTW, someone asked where that name came from and it is easy:

Green = Lizard
    Orange = 1970s = Land of the Lost
    Lizard + Land of the Lost = Sleestak

I would think maybe "Godzilla" would be a better name than Sleestak...
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

Quote Originally Posted by PSherm View Post
    I would think maybe "Godzilla" would be a better name than Sleestak...
    It might be, but then the expectations are raised considerably. Steestaks just walk around and hiss a lot. We can live up to those standards.

Smile Mustang #2 Done!

Mustang #2 is now done and sporting a few graphics for its logbook photos.

Both cars got out for a bath this afternoon and then a little Sunday driving on the street. Stang #2 has to have a fuel line repair that we learned about on the drive, but better here than CMP on Friday morning.

Ron, either of you guys running on Saturday. If you are add me to your crew list, i'd be glad to help you guys out. Since my car is still apart and a no go on driving till August I have some free time on my hands. TIA Chris Braunlich

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Mustang #2 is now done and sporting a few graphics for its logbook photos.

Both cars got out for a bath this afternoon and then a little Sunday driving on the street. Stang #2 has to have a fuel line repair that we learned about on the drive, but better here than CMP on Friday morning.

1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!