Thread: Pro IT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We rely on the tracks flaggers and not SCCA flaggers?!?
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

The waving yellow at two and the lights were both clearly visible, no issue there. Ray's location was such that I really expected to see a FCY by the time I was through the esses, not through two laps. Thank God no one else got loose there before he was picked up.
    The second FCY was much faster. Car was into the wall in the downhill left hand sweeper towards the toe. FCY was out by the heel.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    We rely on the tracks flaggers and not SCCA flaggers?!?
    Some track flaggers ARE scca members.

Pretty much a known element of running at the Glen. Track flaggers DO NOT leave their station and go over the wall to assist a driver. If you're a sitting duck, it sucks huge to have to wait for the CFR truck(s) to make their way around. Another of the many quirks at the place.

As for bringing up race management.....I'll just throw out that I watched two laps of staying green at NHMS in the ITR/ITS/ITB group September '11 after Tom Kelly went head-on into the wall at the exit of T2 on the oval. Local waving yellow, only right at the incident, which happened on the opening lap. The first half of the field came around for lap 2 to find Tom's VW perpendicular to the track right on the line, about 8' from the wall, and the front 3rd of the car as shrapnel on every bit of track surface. Cars scattering and spinning everywhere to avoid him. It took until the end of lap 2 to throw a double yellow, the pace car was late getting out and ended up in the middle of the field, and the lap after that things mercifully went BFA.

Unfortunately, sometimes things like this happen.
    Rob Foley
    Race: ITB '87 CRX Si
    Autocross: GP '86 Civic Si

^^^ That's bad!!! The operating steward can see (with his own eyes) the whole damn track! Guess some are better than others!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by preparedcivic View Post
    Pretty much a known element of running at the Glen. Track flaggers DO NOT leave their station and go over the wall to assist a driver. If you're a sitting duck, it sucks huge to have to wait for the CFR truck(s) to make their way around. Another of the many quirks at the place.

As for bringing up race management.....I'll just throw out that I watched two laps of staying green at NHMS in the ITR/ITS/ITB group September '11 after Tom Kelly went head-on into the wall at the exit of T2 on the oval. Local waving yellow, only right at the incident, which happened on the opening lap. The first half of the field came around for lap 2 to find Tom's VW perpendicular to the track right on the line, about 8' from the wall, and the front 3rd of the car as shrapnel on every bit of track surface. Cars scattering and spinning everywhere to avoid him. It took until the end of lap 2 to throw a double yellow, the pace car was late getting out and ended up in the middle of the field, and the lap after that things mercifully went BFA.

Unfortunately, sometimes things like this happen.
    As NER's Club racing Chairman, I can tell you a full investigation was done, everyone involved was interviewed and several steps were taken to prevent an incedent like this from happening again. But, we are only as good as the folks that give their time for free! I might add that they are as committed and dedicated as anyone could ask! We all learn from our mistakes.
    Jerry
    NER South