Thread: cam "blue printing"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Oh, I'm well aware and remember it well. Everything that COULD have been done incorrectly WAS. However, I'd like to think that your experience is not indicative of how the process would work as a matter of course...I know it's not the way I would have handled it.
    I've sometimes wondered if your increased role in the tech dept was in part due to your observance of the proceedings. Certain the release of the questionable parts that hadn't been determined to be legal/not legal was a huge shock to me, and I had a hard time following Dick Patullos first rule of screw ups, to wit: "Assume stupidity before malice"......
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I had a hard time following Dick Patullos first rule of screw ups, to wit: "Assume stupidity before malice"......
    Jake if you are going to quote me get it right, “Never attribute to Evil what can easily be explained by stupidity”.
    It is a good rule to live by, it helps be resist the urge to kill people.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Yes, good point Dick. I bow to your correct wordsmithing...
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Tons can be learned from the history on cams in SM. From the dowel pin issue to what we have today, published specs for every lobe and tolerences.

Using a 'new' cam that is manufactured to those exacting tolerences is nothing more than blueprinting IMHO. IIRC, a set like that for my car is around $700. A huge chunk of change as compared to just buying a nice new set from Mazda...but we know we can't legislate spending.

Dan - if I was you, I would sure as heck keep the stock cams around. You pay to have teh cams pulled on a protested car, have them measured against what you 'know' to be stock, and then you decide if you want the protest to head to Topeka.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

Dan - if I was you, I would sure as heck keep the stock cams around. You pay to have teh cams pulled on a protested car, have them measured against what you 'know' to be stock, and then you decide if you want the protest to head to Topeka.
    Then rent.... errrr...sell the stockers to the guy who just watched his (obviously suspect) cams head off into the sunset. Profit!
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I've contacted SCCA Tech to see if they have E36 cam profiles or cam's. I'm planning to keep the cam's with me.......just in case.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 06-25-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: quote formatting

To answer your hidden question, yes Ed the cams that you happen to have in that certain motor in the garage *may* be legal to the book/ maximum allowable specs, but clearly not within the intent of the rules.

Has anyone ever officially tested one of "these" cams?
    Jeremy Billiel

No "hidden" questions. I'm confidant that the motor in the garage is a well built, legal, Serra motor. And i'm confidant that it'll idle like a Honda. It's other "lumpiness" I'm asking about.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    ...*may* be legal to the book/ maximum allowable specs, but clearly not within the intent of the rules.
    I disagree. It's all part of blue printing - very much allowed by the rules in black and white. No doubt that some cars may benefit more than others...

Tolerances seem to be tighter on Japanese cars but sooo many teeeny-tiny little changes occur every year with these companies. I would guess that the Miata is one of the ONLY cars in the ITCS where the full cam specs, for every lobe - with tolerences, is documented.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967