Thread: STL rule request change.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    Is there anything in an SM car that would make it illegal for IT unless it was classed as a direct crossover like they are?
    It is NOT a direct crossover (there is no verbiage in the IT explicitly allowing SMs) and yes, there are a few SM items that do not conform to IT rules, such as de-powered steering racks and swapping of rear end components and such (and it's getting worse). There was a move a couple years ago to explicitly allow SMs in IT but it was quashed (I personally opposed it).

Quote Originally Posted by 0100 View Post
    I think SM's are too low to be 100% legit in ITS or STL.
    The min ride height in STL is 5 inches; is SM lower? It's a moot point, given the cars are explicitly allowed in STL.

GA

A semi moot point, as he wants permission to run the car in SM trim (I assume that means lower ride height), but with removed SM particulars. You're saying, "Run it as a Miata, ignore that it's an SM", which is fine, but he'll have to raise his ride height (assuming the SM ride height is indeed lower) to be legal in STL at 5".
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    You're saying, "Run it as a Miata, ignore that it's an SM", which is fine, but he'll have to raise his ride height (assuming the SM ride height is indeed lower) to be legal in STL at 5".
    Correct. What's the minimum ride height of a Smack MyOtter? Is it less than 5"? Is that the only deviation from the STL rules that would make the car illegal?

You're most certainly free to make the request, and it'll get a fair consideration, but from experience I can tell you there will likely be no mix-and-match of the prep rules for any one particular make/model. You can run under Spec Miata prep rules, or you can run under STL prep rules...I don't think that's unreasonable. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Correct. What's the minimum ride height of a Smack MyOtter? Is it less than 5"? Is that the only deviation from the STL rules that would make the car illegal?

You're most certainly free to make the request, and it'll get a fair consideration, but from experience I can tell you there will likely be no mix-and-match of the prep rules for any one particular make/model. You can run under Spec Miata prep rules, or you can run under STL prep rules...I don't think that's unreasonable. - GA
    Thinking further, I don't think there IS a min ride height on a SM....

And no, I won't TOUCH your otter!
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Yeah there is no ride height min. in SM. Anyways I think I was just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    It is NOT a direct crossover (there is no verbiage in the IT explicitly allowing SMs) and yes, there are a few SM items that do not conform to IT rules, such as de-powered steering racks and swapping of rear end components and such (and it's getting worse). There was a move a couple years ago to explicitly allow SMs in IT but it was quashed (I personally opposed it).
    GA
    Umm, so what am I missing? I see SMs run in ITA all the time.... ??
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I see Hondas with holes cut in the radiator panel for cold air, and cars with hard engine mounts and mustangs in ITB with clear plexi spoilers....doesn't make 'em legal.....
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

supposedly THOSE SMs are IT legal, still.

BTW, as I noted earlier, there are some required safety items that IT etc... can run without that a car being passed off as an ST_" car needs. there's also some goofy ST only requirements - the most notable of which I think was changed (it was at least recomended to be so) where the oil plug had to be safetywired or otherwise positively secured from loosening. I'd have to dig for more.
    Last edited by Chip42; 05-13-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: rambling