Thread: Rotary Port Matching

Default Rotary Port Matching

I see that the STAC/CRB is now allowing 1" "port matching" in rotary engines in Super Touring Light.

There's a reason we don't allow port-matching on rotaries in IT. And didn't allow it in STL.

Just thinking out loud. See my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I see that the STAC/CRB is now allowing 1" "port matching" in rotary engines in Super Touring Light.

There's a reason we don't allow port-matching on rotaries in IT. And didn't allow it in STL.

Just thinking out loud. See my sig.
    How much power increase are we talking about Greg?

There isn't alot of data for a 13B in STL, only Flatout has built one and raced it competitively in majors.

Do you think a port matched 13b is going to make more power or torque than one of the restricted 2.0L engines?

Honestly, i see the rotary as a cost effective engine choice for STL Mazdas. IF this port matching proves too powerful the weight can go back up, or run a FPR like all the other "too powerful" engine choices.

I am heavily leaning towards a rotary powered STL miata. Engine cost is low, power is high, reliability in race conditions is high.

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_Rx3 View Post
    I am heavily leaning towards a rotary powered STL miata. Engine cost is low, power is high, reliability in race conditions is high.
    I think they're excellent packages. Flatout built one, and Luis Rivera out of Colorado has a street-ported 12A that he says is an excellent package.

"How much"? No idea. Some say "nothing" (my response is, "so...why did you request it?") some say a lot more than expected. We'll find out soon enough.

If you're thinking of doing it, keep in mind that headers are free. So means that exhaust header tubing size is free. Exhaust header port opening and location is also free. And the exhaust ports are pretty thin...so do whatever you want within 1" of the interface to "match" to whatever exhaust header you decide to fabricate.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I think they're excellent packages. Flatout built one, and Luis Rivera out of Colorado has a street-ported 12A that he says is an excellent package.

"How much"? No idea. Some say "nothing" (my response is, "so...why did you request it?") some say a lot more than expected. We'll find out soon enough.

If you're thinking of doing it, keep in mind that headers are free. So means that exhaust header tubing size is free. Exhaust header port opening and location is also free. And the exhaust ports are pretty thin...so do whatever you want within 1" of the interface to "match" to whatever exhaust header you decide to fabricate.
    1.80" to the closest place on the exhaust side that could help power Greg. Intake will help a little, but still too far to actual area to change port timing.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)