Thread: Where to you locate an alternate engine?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, not intending to pick on you. I agree with what you're suggesting, but...

>>> original angular orientation and the bellhousing plane can be part of the VTS requirements.

There are no VTS for cars in Super Touring U and L. Anything can run in that class with the appropriate engine. And there won't be any VTS for engines except non-US market engines.

>>> make a specific year range and model of car(s) part of the alternative engine allowance.

Unfortunately, that's cat's long out of the bag, unlikely to be further restricted. But to do so would require a wholesale change in the philosophy, in addition to having to specifically approve each and every possible combination, immediately making any swap non-compliant until the STAC/CRB goes through the process of approving them. And given our slow lead times (request ->STAC ->CRB -> Fastrack) we'd be holding people up until we did.

It'll probably bite us in the ass eventually, but I just can't see moving from an "open" philosophy to a "permitted only".

>>> BTW, are shift linkage / trans housing modifications legal to allow for swaps?

Can't say for sure without specifics - and it's not really mine to say - but I would suggest it's compliant to change a car from cable to rod or hydraulic shift, if that's what the desired trans used.

>>> AND of the car as a whole allowing the chassis to be set lower without CV axle bind and better weight balance...

Note ST classes each have minimum ride height.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, not intending to pick on you. I agree with what you're suggesting, but...

>>> original angular orientation and the bellhousing plane can be part of the VTS requirements.

There are no VTS for cars in Super Touring U and L. Anything can run in that class with the appropriate engine. And there won't be any VTS for engines except non-US market engines.
    using VTS in the vaguest of senses here. if the doner car and engine are USDM, then refeences are available. you made a point that this would be hard to tech for non USDM doner cars. have non USDM doner engines include this information in their listing when they are permitted. soup.
    >>> make a specific year range and model of car(s) part of the alternative engine allowance.

Unfortunately, that's cat's long out of the bag, unlikely to be further restricted. But to do so would require a wholesale change in the philosophy, in addition to having to specifically approve each and every possible combination, immediately making any swap non-compliant until the STAC/CRB goes through the process of approving them. And given our slow lead times (request ->STAC ->CRB -> Fastrack) we'd be holding people up until we did.
    again, the cvomment was with regard to newly approved, non USDM motors.

It'll probably bite us in the ass eventually, but I just can't see moving from an "open" philosophy to a "permitted only".
    was a misread - I'm trying to point out a way that you can regulate transplant placement going forwar din any way that you want. if the info becomes irrelvat due to openness, fine. if you (the STAC) decide to place limits on engine position / orientation, you have that available for the "hard to tech" engines from other markets. it CAN get ugly, I'm sure a lot of people might have issue with transplant or stock motors being set back, down, and/or roatated as Ron suggests (they did take back some of these allowances in STO not too long ago, so there's your precedent). what your job is to do is to decide if you want to see how bad it is (fully open), or set up limits and adjust them as you see fit in the future. I vote #2.
    >>> BTW, are shift linkage / trans housing modifications legal to allow for swaps?

Can't say for sure without specifics - and it's not really mine to say - but I would suggest it's compliant to change a car from cable to rod or hydraulic shift, if that's what the desired trans used.
    I'm thinking FWD trnasaxle in a mid engined car (I'm MR2 centric) - inputs are on the "wrong" side of the case. easy button for the 4A/3S/2ZZ series is use the center section from the trans that came with some MR2 with the same trans series, but it's easy enough to adapt many of the cases too. just wondering if that is legal (seems to fit the roffe corollary and the spirit of the swap allowance)
    >>> AND of the car as a whole allowing the chassis to be set lower without CV axle bind and better weight balance...

Note ST classes each have minimum ride height.

GA
    yeah, they do, but sometimes, particularly with FWD cars, you can't even GET to the allowed ride height due to axle bind (maybe only in roll but still there) and even if you can, you can still make the system better by bringing the axles into alignment. is the diff position open in RWD IRS cars?