Thread: Memorial Weekend at CMP?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan88 View Post
    That Z car sounds MEAN !!!!!!
    Also sounds like 8k on the downshifts! Steve is fast though so I guess it works.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    Also sounds like 8k on the downshifts! Steve is fast though so I guess it works.
    Who needs brakes when you have an expensive race motor to slow you down?

I think I did hit about 7300 on a few of them. I have to stop doing that! It's my worst habit as a driver. On the upshifts I shift at 7000 or less.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Nice Video Steve. Obviously you are at the pointy end of the field. OK, somebody fill us slackers in. Who did what? Did SteveP put down another hot lap? Did JeffY get to the front? and what about Ron, did he cure his miss?
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pballance View Post
    Nice Video Steve. Obviously you are at the pointy end of the field. OK, somebody fill us slackers in. Who did what? Did SteveP put down another hot lap? Did JeffY get to the front? and what about Ron, did he cure his miss?
    OK... I'll do my best.. I stayed VERY busy fixing damage and brakes so my memory might be fuzzy.

Saturdays qualifying order was Rickey T in the ITR bimmer with the overall pole. I was first in ITS, just nipping Mike VanSteenburg by 1 tenth (1:47.5 ish). Then it was Kent T, the #77 ITR 325is, Jeff Y, Jeff McCandless, and Earp. There were 13 S cars in total. At the start of the race I tucked in behind Rickey and Mike must have tied a rope to my back bumper because he stayed about 6 inches off of it for the first 6 or 7 laps. He was just sitting there waiting on the Z brakes to fade. And fade they did! I can make the car go fast for a lap or two but repeating that for 14 laps is just asking too much of the Z. Mike started to leave me behind and Kent started to reappear in my mirror. He caught me on the front staight and in the so called braking zone mine went to the floor. I went as deep into the sand trap as anyone has ever been. Grabbed a gear and reentered before turn 3. I limped around the last 2 laps with NO brakes to finish 3rd. As I understand it, Jeff M got by both Earp and Jeff Y on the last lap for 4th. The rest is kind of blurred in my mind.

After working on the brakes till midnight, I started Sunday with everything brand new. As you can see on the video, It was MVS with the overall pole with a blistering lap of 1:46.5 ish. Then Rickey, me, Jeff M, Matt Moorefield 77 ITR, Jeff Y, Earp. After Rickey settled down on lap 2 he chased down MVS for the lead. I ran alone in second in ITS and was watching Jeff Y in my mirror. Apparantly Jeff M had an off. I don't recall what happened but Jeff Y disappeared near the end. I think Jeff M finished 3rd.

As for the ECR, it is a very short story for us. The brakes blew out about 20 minutes in with Bryan driving. It's time to upgrade the brakes again!

Overall it was a great weekend. Someone else will have to fill in the blanks for the other classes. We were too busy to have a chance to watch any of the other race action.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

That's about it. I started 4th Saturday, and destroyed a wheel hub about 5 laps in. Had nothing for Kent, Mike VS or Steve.

Kent's car apparently got torn up in the CCPS fracas later that day, he didn't run on Sunday.

Sunday, qual in ITS was Mike vS, Steve, Jeff M, me, Ron. Ron did cure the miss. Oil level in carburetors seemed to be the issue.

On the start I got around Jeff M. and ran 3rd until the last lap. Brake, handling and driver fade on my part, plus a great drive by Ron adn Jeff M. and they caught me and passed me with one to go. So, finish was Mike VS, Steve, Jeff M., Ron, me.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8