Thread: VIR 13 HR, or for us, 1HR !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yes Kirk the head and cam came together as a set. Ford has always used the 4 cyc mustang to balance out overall fuel numbers across the company. The car had a run from 1979 to 1993 with 4 different head configurations and several cams. I know you can't mix and match so we looked at all the options.

There are no secrets in building the motor, I have learned from Tom you just have to do all the little things to make it work. Or maybe it is all the little secrets that make it work. I don't know Kirk, it was just amazing what he did. Of course he said many times this is why it is very tough to get someone else to build you a motor. There is just so much time involved in doing a motor. I have to say he must have had 500 hours in the project, maybe more. And with that you can't just buy a set of headers and expect it to work or an oil pan, or a windage tray. It all has to work together and most of the time that means doing your own research and building your own.

Yes I plan on going down to Roebling again Paul I look forward to meeting up with you for that beer.
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang

Thanks for clarifying, Ron.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yes Kirk the head and cam came together as a set. ...
    Sorry - I'm getting old and the synapses are slowing down, so a delayed extension to that question: Since the ITCS defines the "engine long block" as an assembly for the purposes of up- and back-dating, that cam and head are on a block, crank, and rods that were originally delivered under them, too - right...?

I ask because Cameron is revisiting the OBDI/OBDII question as we look at a winter engine rebuild. With the MkIII, there's really only two iterations, coincidentally defined by the switch between generations of engine management, so it's likely more complex over the life of the Mustang...

K

I don't know that much about the inner workings of the VW. I have only driven a couple in some 24 hour of lemons races. With the Ford, all the bottom ends were pretty much the same except that the later ones had what they called a small journal crank. It had to do with the size on the crank bearings.
    Ron
    Atlanta
    ITB Mustang