Thread: Oil Wt s & Brands?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am running the Valvoline VR1 race oil, 20w-50, in my rx7. Guy who had it before me ran Castrol GTX, but I got some recomendations to switch to the valvoline from some other racers. I change it every other race weekend.

We probably will go to the 10-30 Mobil 1 Extended performance. Our Engine rebuilder recommended the lower viscosity to get oil to the Bearings more quickly on start up. We did get 5 years on this engine(same as Marty on His engine) We used to Change every other Race weekend but then when we started running the Pro-it weekends with 30 minute practice and 45 Minute race. Plus we try to run regional if on same weekend we went to changing every weekend. Always some oil remains in cooler and lines. use the Idemitsu for our premix. Need to find an East coast source for Idemitsu to cut coast of shipping . Our Engine on tear down showed wear but not certain that may have been there when we got the car.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by rx761 View Post
    I am running the Valvoline VR1 race oil, 20w-50, in my rx7. I change it every other race weekend.
    + 1.

Quote Originally Posted by tdw6974 View Post
    Our Engine rebuilder recommended the lower viscosity to get oil to the Bearings more quickly on start up.
    Consider an Accusump with manual valve. Mine releases 3qts at 80PSI (or wherever you close the valve at) into the system before start up every time. I assume you are also using the MFR bearings.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT