Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
    Slightly OT...but...Gregg are there any efforts being made in regards to ISAAC use in he future or are we (ISAAC users) simply all screwed next year.

???
    The SCCA made two completely opposite rulings on the subject in 2009 (same people, same issue, different outcomes), with the latest not going into effect until 2012. It's a pretty good guess that things will change at least once between now and then.

Everyone play safe this weekend!
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    The SCCA made two completely opposite rulings on the subject in 2009 (same people, same issue, different outcomes), with the latest not going into effect until 2012. It's a pretty good guess that things will change at least once between now and then.
    So... no change on your end?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    So... no change on your end?
    Design change? No.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

So what's the verdict? You guys are scaring the hell out of the newbie who needs to buy one of theses things. Isaac becuase of it's lateral protection, HANS because of rep, Defnder because is offers a little of both for the price, or Rage because is supposedly offer the best lateral protection and does not rely on the belts at all? It would seem the best idea would be to get rid of the potetnial liablity all together. I don't know as much about the Rage as the others, but it looks like the likes of John Force uses it. And we've seen his monsterous wrecks. I'm buying a right side net as well, but not another seat. Smart words about the most fun you do and not the last.
    Last edited by mr. black; 03-01-2010 at 04:46 PM.

My money is on the Hybrid Rage Pro for $595 you can't beat it. SFI rated, great protection and very comfortable. Will be getting one very soon.. There are also more NASCAR truck series guys wearing it now also as well as Force and many other NHRA guys.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

The one thing that's "off-base" would be the issue of getting stuck with the belts; cornerworkers carry knives that make short work of the belts if needed.

The issue of trying to deal with pins with limited mobility on one side is an interesting point; at the same time, that can also affect your ability to, in general, climb out of the cage and car. Even so - it'd be a pretty straightforward step to reach around and get the other pin with the far-side hand.

Regarding the belts: why would you ever take to the track with ANY slack in your belts???

As for 2" vs. 3" HANS - I've gotten the impression that this is more a comfort issue for the driver than regarding security of the belts? Maybe those more familiar with HANS options could compare; I've only used mine with standard 3" belts.

I also asked, when prepping my built list for the new car (DSR, with formula-style belts), about if I will need to switch to 2" belts if/when I transition to using a HANS in that once 2012 rolls around, and was told no, not unless the 3" shoulder belts aren't working/comfortable...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I can see your point. As for the belt slack, it just looks like a lot of slack. Plus, when I first started to get my liscence, my instructor asked if I wanted the belts tight because he liked his a little loose for comfort. I personally don't want to be able to move at all, it's so tight. I've run both formula and sedan and it's the same for both.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
    So what's the verdict? You guys are scaring the hell out of the newbie who needs to buy one of theses things. Isaac becuase of it's lateral protection, HANS because of rep, Defnder because is offers a little of both for the price
    Two recommendations, depending on your situation:

1) If you want maximum safety (including egress) and you intend to keep everything until old age puts you in a nursing home, get a high quality seat -- without the head surround/halo -- and use an Isaac Intermediate, or Titanium if you feel flush.

2) If you want the best short-term value package, keep your existing seat and get an Isaac Link ($199) and a side net. You're in for <$300. If you change anything later you can always sell these to a buddy.

...or Rage because is supposedly offer the best lateral protection
    Key word is "supposedly." It's easy for a manufacturer to publish test results, yet some companies refuse to do it. If I said I was the fastest guy at the track, would you want to know my lap times?

...and does not rely on the belts at all?
    If you lose you the belts you have a bigger problem than head injuries, which is why a H&N restraint that engages the belts is a good thing.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Why would anyone buy a unit that is not SFI rated and will be rendered useless in a year or two. NASA, PBOC all require a SFI 38.1 unit and SCCA is soon to follow. Buy one that meets the requirements and be done with it.

If people would stop buying the NON SFI 38.1 units now they would be forced to make a choice. Go out of business or redesign theirs to meet the requirements.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Pritchett View Post
    Why would anyone buy a unit that is not SFI rated and will be rendered useless in a year or two. NASA, PBOC all require a SFI 38.1 unit and SCCA is soon to follow. Buy one that meets the requirements and be done with it.

If people would stop buying the NON SFI 38.1 units now they would be forced to make a choice. Go out of business or redesign theirs to meet the requirements.
    Perhaps the hope that the powers that be will allow a non-SFI restraint system that's been tested to be better than some of the other more popular brands before the deadline.
    Enjoy,
    Bill