Thread: Self-policing +

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

why doesn't anyone get on the MARRS group for not traveling to the ARRC in droves?
    Very stong fields, in general much more so than the ARRC. Heck, ITB Labor Day had a 30 plus ITB field. I'd MUCH rather attend that enent in an ITB car than get an automatic second at the ARRC and spend more money doing so. Maybe that's the case with FL cars but when the ARRC was very well attended for IT cars, we saw many people travel great distances as it was much more of the IT championship, it was odd more FL cars didn't attend.

I've often heard of the FL gentleman's agreement. True or not, some of the cars I've seen with obvious items... Gesh, and some of the IT-7 cars. LOL
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

So, reading between the lines here what some of your are suggesting is that those that don't attend the ARRC are, or more likely to be, cheaters? Really?

Where I'm from the reasons for not attending to ARRC have nothing to do with tech and everything to do with light fields, little competition, a diluted spread out event requiring two days off work, and the ARRC being immediately following three race weekends (SIC, Goblin's Go, VIR 13hr).

I've been to Daytona and witnessed the cars that Jeff mentioned - lots of little minor details with some FL cars that were non-compliant for IT. But the cars that were winning the races and running up front seemed to be legal to me. The folks that had non-compliant IT mods were new, not competitive, and seemed to just basically want to be out on track. That you guys don't pull them aside and get it corrected is another matter, but the front runners had none of these issues.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 11-21-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Ron, I think in the past there have been some eyebrows raised when really fast cars close to RA, who race at RA, skipped the ARRC. Fields were really strong, and there were solid compliance checks. Since at the majority of events there are little checks and balances on cars, cars that attended the ARRC had more crediblity. Of course there are many reasons why people didn't attend, but some were suspect.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Very stong fields, in general much more so than the ARRC. Heck, ITB Labor Day had a 30 plus ITB field. I'd MUCH rather attend that enent in an ITB car than get an automatic second at the ARRC and spend more money doing so.
    And this was all I was saying about NOW. I don't know why fast cars didn't run the ARRC, but as Ron has said countless times, a SARRC jacket is worth a lot more to us in the south than an ARRC win. that's even more true now that the ARRC fields are so weak.

FWIW, entry numbers for the Turkey Trot at Sebring Thanksgiving weekend:

Group 1 SM, SM5 56
    Group 2/3 FA, FC, FF, FM, S2, CSR, DSR, FV, F500, CF, FS, FB, FE, FST, F600 24
    Group 4 ITC, EP, FP, HP, GTL, STL, T4 56
    Group 5 T3, SRF, LEG, SPU, STU, B-Spec 35
    Group 6 ITB, ITS, ITA, IT7, ITR, IT7R 58
    Group 7 GT1, GT2, GT3, AS, T1, T2, GTA, SPO, ASR, ITO, STO 21

The IT breakdown is
    R = 9 (2 toyotas, 7 BMWs)
    S = 17 (3 aren't MAzdas)
    A = 17 (mostly miatae)
    B = 14 (2 'rolas, 2 mustangs, 2 MR2s, 2 accords, 3 A3s, 3 A2s)
    C = 1 (Miki's A1)
    Last edited by Chip42; 11-22-2013 at 01:16 AM.

B has some diversity. It reads like your S class is Spec 2nd Gen RX7.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    B has some diversity. It reads like your S class is Spec 2nd Gen RX7.

Thanksgiving weekend will be a bloodbath for the mosquitoes at Sebring. Hell, we're smoking too.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

there's plenty of Miata in that list, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    there's plenty of Miata in that list, too.
    And people refer to the SCCA as the Mazda Car Club. Boy they sure are wrong.