Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New England Region IT EZ

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Note a sentence in Dick's original post:

There's a lot of subjectivity in that statement, and a lot of flexibility for the stewards (and Tech). I won't issue a logbook to a car that appears to have something that can create a safety hazard, and I'm sure the stewards will ask competitors to simply unscrew the Lowe's sheet metal screws and remove the chicken head.

Open the mind, let's give it a shot. We have the administrative ability to say "no"; let's start with "yes" and see how it goes.

- GA
    indeed!
    Jason Carroll - NER IT7 #07

I think it's a great idea!! I also think it may catch on and that grouping with the Miata's might become too big.........?? Maybe make it ITEZ and Ed? Especially if he's driving his ITA car!!

In regards to comments on implementing the 180 rules, this is a place for them to play, not set-up to become an ultra competitive class.............

This may also give the opportunitiy for NASA cars that don;t slot into an SCCA class a place to run.

One area I always have to give NER race organizers credit for is their flexibility and creativity. (amoung other things! )
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

The class name is very good. Many wont run in a class called "crap can" . They just think too much of their cars and self image. ( whippersnappers).

Edit for Stephen, the nice thing about "Crapcan" is that it gets free coverage in "Grassroots" and comes up well in the search engines. It is a good tool for advancing economical racing . Of which we need more of to stay alive.

IMHO the themes and crap stuck on cars, is a self solving non problem. The goofy theme guys are "lemonheads" and counter serious racing . Those guys and cars wont show up.
    CC has no themes. The only hanger-on is one Infiniti with a shark fin outline on the roof. They are also in FL. and have some interest running the SCCA races.
    I have never run over or had anything fall off of a Chumpcar that was not a racing part, exhaust, splitter etc. That has been very seldom considering the amount of laps and cars.

I think that the most important part of the initial statement was about the driver ,"IT‐EZ is designed to provide a way for drivers to earn an SCCA racing license and race in regional ".
    Is this an evolution of the CRX? Can Crap canners run with out a prior school? On a novice permit?
    How can we get this into the SE area?
    Well done. MM
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 12-17-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: so as to not bottom post a trivial point
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Smile The birth of common sense and liberty!!!

Don't tread on me, you effete snobs!! I spit in your general direction!! (with heavy French accent)
    I've been nursing a resentment since tech gave me a very hard time over "neat and clean" bodywork at the 94 ARRC and told me not to come back without pretty/straight/monochromatic!

WOW!! I thought I'd wait before expressing an opinion. It's deja vu all over again
    and it's great.
    How simply refreshing.
    Simple, sensible, and pregnant with great possibility
    phil hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    The class name is very good. Many wont run in a class called "crap can" . They just think too much of their cars and self image. ( whippersnappers).
    To be honest I always felt the name crapcan was snoby and kind of an insult. I am GLAD we did not follow in that footstep, its not inviting at all.

IMHO the themes and crap stuck on cars, is a self solving non problem. The goofy theme guys are "lemonheads" and counter serious racing . Those guys and cars wont show up.
    In the NER area I don't think Chump is very big. Lemons has two well attended events at NHMS though so we need to cater to them a bit if we can. We should also try and get some of the NH circle track guys in as well. They actually have an endurance series that travels to Lee, Star, Manadnock and even races at loudon on the road course at least once a year. I met a guy at a test day last year...

I think that the most important part of the initial statement was about the driver ,"IT‐EZ is designed to provide a way for drivers to earn an SCCA racing license and race in regional ".
    Is this an evolution of the CRX? Can Crap canners run with out a prior school? On a novice permit?
    I am interested to hear more on this as well.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    To be honest I always felt the name crapcan was snoby and kind of an insult.
    "ChumpCar"

"LeMons"

"
    Used Car Racing"

Are the terms only 'racist' if you're not of the same race....?

GA, who knows that only a coon-ass can call a coon-ass a coon-ass...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    In the NER area I don't think Chump is very big. Lemons has two well attended events at NHMS though so we need to cater to them a bit if we can. We should also try and get some of the NH circle track guys in as well. They actually have an endurance series that travels to Lee, Star, Manadnock and even races at loudon on the road course at least once a year. I met a guy at a test day last year...
    it is a prime time to take advantage of this as a region, Lemons lost a NHMS date and Chump has a Thompson date...there will be lechumps looking for seat time locally...I think the series you are talking about is the Northeast Ministock Tour and while it would be great to try to pick them up most of those cars wont pass SCCA tech.

Well done. MM
    With regard to licensees, now this is important, this class is a club racing class. This is an opportunity to race with NER SCCA in cars that do not meet the normal rule set. You still need a license and all personal safety gear. This is because these cars run in regular club racing run groups.
    If someone has a car available and no license they have a couple of choices. They can enter the NHMS driver school the Friday of Memorial Day weekend or if they have previous racing experience they can ask the NE Div licensing guy Pete Smith if he will waive the requirement. NER is also working on alternative schools on test days before other events though out the year.
    I have to say the NER driver’s schools is a hell of a good value, lots of track time, good coaching and a ton of fun. If someone can do it I would say they will have a great time.
    So take your Lechump and have some fun and end up with a SCCA license. Then you have lots of options.
    The other program in the pipeline is a SCCA CRE or club racing experience. This is the pilot program that ran a few events last year at the Glen, St Louis, and others. CRE does not require a license but is a separate run group with 13/13 rules and performance limited to around ITA/SM levels. I tentatively have permission to run one at the August NHMS weekend. This requires less paperwork so it is a little easier to get into but because it is a separate rune group it is higher financial risk for the region to do. I strongly recommend if you have a car available and want to race do the IT EZ path as you will have a lot more opportunities.

as to what you can do in the SE talk it up to the people in the regions running races.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by georgethefierce View Post
    it is a prime time to take advantage of this as a region, Lemons lost a NHMS date and Chump has a Thompson date...there will be lechumps looking for seat time locally...I think the series you are talking about is the Northeast Ministock Tour and while it would be great to try to pick them up most of those cars wont pass SCCA tech.
    I did the last Lemons race at NHMS. There were 142 entries. I could see at least a third of the cars fitting into this new category.

We could run them with the "Wings & Things" run group so they get the track to themselves.

Abhi

Apparently it's more socially acceptable to put your crap in a can than it is to put your shit in a box.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I'd also suggest sticking to the street tire rule for the ITEZ/lemons class.

A less-sticky tire will help keep speeds down, which is one of the main reasons that Lemons/Chump requires it.

-jeff (who in theory has a Lemons car)
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

I think Ed is not amused....

Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
    I'd also suggest sticking to the street tire rule for the ITEZ/lemons class.

A less-sticky tire will help keep speeds down, which is one of the main reasons that Lemons/Chump requires it.

-jeff (who in theory has a Lemons car)
    Guys this is easy if we 5 or 6 guys who show up with street tires and want a street tire class I will work to get it for you. First I have to prove to the powers to be that this is a good idea and that you all are not yahoos who are going to crash into Ed.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Street tires please. This would open the door to the IT cars that want to double dip, the NASA IT cars with lexan widows, the Chupers that are setuo for ST.

and of course for ED that must from here on, race on street tires, with a piece of TP inside the car.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

+1
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Street tires please. This would open the door to the IT cars that want to double dip, the NASA IT cars with lexan widows, the Chupers that are setuo for ST.
    There's nothing in the proposed ITEZ regs that would stop any of that.

Please stop with the street tire religion. Pretty please? All of about TWO of you have even put your money where your mouth is and run them in any SCCA race. The rest of you have demonstrated absolutely nothing other than your religion's capability of being annoying as hell about this issue.

- GA

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Guys this is easy if we 5 or 6 guys who show up with street tires and want a street tire class I will work to get it for you. First I have to prove to the powers to be that this is a good idea and that you all are not yahoos who are going to crash into Ed.
    If I *do* run street tires, am I *allowed* to crash into Ed?
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

snip.........I have never run over or had anything fall off of a Chumpcar that was not a racing part, exhaust, splitter etc. That has been very seldom considering the amount of laps and cars.

Well done. MM
    i have had more "issues" running with Prod cars at National/Major events with oil being dumped on the track. i think they should be referred to as "Oil Can" racing and subject to banning.

regarding licensing, i know of at least one fellow LeMons racer that applied for and got a full license (not a novice license) based on his LeMons racing, his status as a Honda event instructor and recommendations from SCCA driver/members. he went the alternate licensing route through Atlanta region and went to IT Fest this past year and loved it.

it is my understanding that without the SCCA member recommendation, he would have received a Novice permit. all i know is that with his ~100 track days as a driver and instructor and his ~ 12 hours of actual wheel to wheel LeMons racing, his level of experience vastly exceeded mine (two classic driver school weekends) prior to going wheel to whell in SCCA.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    First I have to prove to the powers to be that this is a good idea and that you all are not yahoos who are going to crash into Ed.
    who's gonna keep Ed from crashing into them!!?

It seems like the substantial part of the target audience is ChumpCar and LeMons competitors. Since both groups are already on 180 TW tires, it would make sense to include those tires as part of the class rules. LeChumpers already have experience with these street tires and probably an inventory of Rivals or Direzzas. Not having a tire rule will force them to go the rcomp route to be competitive -- and if they are racing they will want to be competitive. This seems to be more a barrier to entry than a 180 TW tire rule.

Terry