Thread: Porsche 944s2 engine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    It would be legal to apply a Nikasil coating on an engine that came with the coating as OE.
    On second read, application or use of coatings are prohibited. It does not say except as stock.

So under a strict read of the rules, OE engines with Nikasil coatings are not legal. Clearly a stock engine should be legal, but it may be a very tough sell to say that this allows the coating to be reapplied if it is removed for some reason.

Per the factory manual. Actually, it's not really a coating in the '44 motor... but perhaps the 911 guys would still be at risk for some rules nerds.

I recall the Saturns having a similar problem with the stock piston skirt coating on their engines...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    So under a strict read of the rules, OE engines with Nikasil coatings are not legal. Clearly a stock engine should be legal, but it may be a very tough sell to say that this allows the coating to be reapplied if it is removed for some reason.

I noticed that rules problem too. One of the ITR cars I considered has pistons that are coated from the factory. Now, of course you can buy OEM pistons and they will be coated too, so you don't have to apply coatings. And naturally the stock motor has pistons that are coated. But the rules say no coatings period.

Illegal car right out of the box.

There are coatings on every Mazda motor ever run, it is called chrome plate. The factory processes are not called out in the ITCS any more than every other stock part is specifically called out. It is still legal to use stock parts and processes. Many cams are nitrided from the factory, are they illegal too. Many more are parkerized, illegal?. It has always been legal to build or repair to factory spec and process. No different than the remote res shocks on the S2000, if it came factory it is legal. Alusil is actually a coating in that there is a special honing process to impregnate the surface and then the pistons are tin Plated to not gall up. So under a strict read the 944S2 would not be legal stock because of the coated piston skirt?
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I agree, stock parts should be legal. The rule should be updated to allow stock coatings (I doubt you'd find any SOM's that would rule against stock parts like these, though I'm often surprised)

I agree, seems appropriate to update the rules to reflect stock coating processes where appropriate.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com