View Poll Results: Should non-USDM motors be allowed in ST?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - USDM only

23 38.33%
  • YES

30 50.00%
  • Allow on a case by case basis

7 11.67%

Thread: Should NON-US motors be allowed in ST?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Matt, I have a deal for you!! 2007 IS250 engine and 6 speed transmission, complete 40,000 miles, RWD!!
    $4000 you pick it up or $4200 with me leaving Orlando and you leaving Houston, and we meet somewhere near Peniscola!!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Guys, I'm not trying to be a douchebag. I just don't think "a case by case" basis is a fair setup. It leaves an "open" desicion making process, which is very easy to slant one way or another.
    In STU the Integra type R, and the S2K engine are not allowed, too much potential, OK! When we allow the JDM-yo SR, 2GTE or whatever, then say "case by case" there is always room for bias. If Ben gets the 968 RS motor, and I find some obscure BMW limited production motor that has the potential to kick ass, then "in this case " its not approved!! I cry foul, or somebody finds something else with potential, it gets approved then the SR, ZZ guys say that motor will kill us 'NO FAIR'!!
    I believe that within the USDM there is a level playing field, if not a known playing field, no surprises. With an open border scenario there is going to be surprises. then the horse is out of the gate. How do we get him back in.
    You say Ignore the financial aspects...those are red herrings. Who cares if the allowance costs more? Or less? Or is plentiful? Or rare? Does NOT matter, as long as it's an even allowance, it's all good, as it gives the class and the drivers more options..
    Chip said"what exactly are you trying to promote? one group was arguing for a low cost source of better parts for our use than those sold in the USDM, seemingly within the spirit of the rules, and a bunch of the advisory committee guys seem to agree. you are making silly arguments about brand swaps? really? how are they even an extension of one another? no one is begging for the ultra-rare uber box, they are looking for an easy "get me to the track, reliably" solution that is readily available and fits mechancially without pushing them overweight. seriously, you sound rediculous. yeah, I know, your side won...
    Both Chip and Matt say 1000 dollars gets them a motor, and a low cost alternative. But Jake says ignore financial. We all know if one can spend another can overspend!! We have IT cars that approach $100k, what will happen here when that happens? An SR motor with 15k in developement makes what HP? Just throwing this out there!
    Oh and Chip its ridiculous!!
    Love you guys!!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    Matt, I have a deal for you!! 2007 IS250 engine and 6 speed transmission, complete 40,000 miles, RWD!!
    $4000 you pick it up or $4200 with me leaving Orlando and you leaving Houston, and we meet somewhere near Peniscola!!!
    Would be nice if I drove a Toyota.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

DDDOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    signed,
    A. Dumass
    Last edited by DoubleXL240Z; 06-22-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

I saw this as a class diversity opportunity.

There are some makes that just don't have a US spec motor that will breathe as well on the intake side as it needs to for success in this class.

However, if the STAC decides that they will adjust makes that don't have competitive powerplants available, I think the same level of diverse competitive options can be achieved.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com