Thread: ITR Mustang

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bill:

I really don't know about using 15" wheels on such a heavy car shod with horrible brakes. I use the airier 17" rims with all the brake tubing I can cram into the wheels. Our rotor sizes are 11"--pitiful by ITR standards. At tracks like Watkins Glens or Nelson, brakes are not a major issue so I guess you could run the smaller wheels. But at a Gingerman or a Beaverun, that brake pedal is gonna be down on the floor before you know it. I'd rather have the weight of the larger wheels knowing that my brakes are getting all the cooling possible.

Another reason to optimize brake cooling: The ITR Mustang is equipped with PBR aluminum front calipers, unlike the earlier SN-95 cars that came with cast iron bits. This is great for weight, but these calipers deform like crazy in the heat, even at the easy tracks. It's normal for me to replace the front calipers (at about $65 a pop)about every other event. If I don't, I'll be wasting box after box of $200 brake pads. So running the larger wheels helps me to minimize an economic issue.

Just my $.02
    Last edited by RedMisted; 12-21-2009 at 07:14 PM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series