View Poll Results: What are your thoughts in wheel widths in ITB and ITC?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave rule as-is.

46 37.10%
  • Allow OEM wheels (even if wider than 6")

13 10.48%
  • Allow stock-SIZED wheels (even if wider than 6")

11 8.87%
  • Move ITC and ITB to 7" width

45 36.29%
  • Open up IT to any wheel size (that fits within fender rules)

19 15.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Wheel width, ITB, again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    That's why my having to run 205mm tires on a 1900# car really doesn't bother me TOO much (and why seeing guys stuff 225 tires on a 6" wheel and crowning the contact patch doesn't impress me too much). If 6-inch-wheel drivers - especially the lighter cars - haven't tested 205 tires on 6" wheels you may be leaving time on the table...
    Contact patch is not always the only variable impacted by changing to another tire size available for your car. I was not in search of grip when I went to 225s.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Contact patch is not always the only variable impacted by changing to another tire size available for your car. I was not in search of grip when I went to 225s.
    Assuming tire compound equal.. in going to a 225 over a 205, the 225's are heavier, and more rolling resistance.. the only advantage on the 205 is the contact patch.. which allows more grip and allows the tire to disperse a load over a larger area for a given load relative to a 205 to keep tire temps down, and should last just a bit longer for the same reason. all of which is still related to grip. Or am I missing something?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I am selling my 6" wheels for the 914 and running the stock 5.5" wheels with 205/50/15 SM6 on it. If a SM can run 1:42 on them at Road A my car should be able to run 1:47 on them. So far the tire temps are good. I rolled a 225/45/15 mounded on a 6" wheel through flour and then a 205/50/15 on a 5.5" rim. There was not much difference for me to switch.

Blake Meredith