Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
The SRT-4 is classified in STO because it was requested. The "standard" SRT-4 (without alternate turbo) is eligible for STU using the weight/restrictor regs.

Trying to limit boost is impractical. We do not have a traveling scrutineering crew with the equipment and skills to police it. We, the club, have never, ever been able to do it successfully.

Ditto limiting ECUs. Showroom Stock, Touring, and Improved Touring couldn't police it, what makes you think Super Touring can?

Don't take these as elitist poo-poo'ing of legitimate suggestions; I'm simply responding why I think they can't work in reality. But please do keep making suggestions, as we're truly looking for input on options. But what we decide to do has to be both effective and able to be easily scrutineered.

And as an aside, while I don't share Chris' implied take on turbo-v-n/a, I've seen some of the data for a couple STU cars and I was personally surprised at the limited size of the difference in performance in a straight line. I was expecting a lot more than what I saw. But - and this is a big "but" - I'll need to spend some more time reviewing this stuff before I draw any reasonable conclusions. - GA
Greg, no offense here, but I do find it a bit interesting that we have the data in the hands of the STAC, many of which are builders and drivers in this class, however we the entrants can't see it because it is classified info??!! Is this not just a bit like letting the inmates run the asylum?

I for one think this is a bit twisted from the way it should be done. We need a non biased opinion from a profesional.

Also, your assertion that boost limits cant be done are pretty much just silly. The solution for that is simple; you wanna run a boosted car, you have to run a logger tied to the manifold. At nation events, if I think your non compliant a simple protest with the susequent reading of the log by tech(simple to do with most loggers)should solve the issue. Yes it cost a bit for the turbo car entrant, but its a drop in the bucket compared to the money that went into the car build

The harder part would be SETTING the limits on individual cars. But that can be done with a bit of thought, and a formula or two. I would suggest to err on the low side to start with, as Grand Am has.

Again, no offence, but you guys opened this can of worms,if you don't fix it NOW( and I mean in the next month or so) you will lose all faith of those running the non turbo cars, and the class will crash and burn.