Thread: The Art of Racing in the Rain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm not a follower of celebrities as I really don't "know" them, so it's hard to judge and become an admirer...(although after working with Newman, and knowing his rep, he shot to the top of my most admired celebrity list)...but, this Dempsey guy seems to have a very great angle on things, and, it even appears that he's got some integrity. I think he's going about his racing 'career' in a great way. So, I hope he does well with this story and role.....I'm glad to see he got the rights, as opposed to nearly anyone else.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I'm not a follower of celebrities as I really don't "know" them, so it's hard to judge and become an admirer...(although after working with Newman, and knowing his rep, he shot to the top of my most admired celebrity list)...but, this Dempsey guy seems to have a very great angle on things, and, it even appears that he's got some integrity. I think he's going about his racing 'career' in a great way. So, I hope he does well with this story and role.....I'm glad to see he got the rights, as opposed to nearly anyone else.

Jake, there's a part in it for a friend of the lead character......go for it !!
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Well here's something you'll like even more. Once NASCAR heard of the motorsports side of the story they came knocking. Dempsey's response was. Read the title. If it was going to be about NASCAR and rain, the author would have titled it "Standing around the paddock in the rain" and put his foot down killing that possible tangent.

I actually just finished reading this book and I LOVED it!
    A book that actually cought my attention by the title ofcourse...
    but I didnt know what the dog on the cover had to do with it.
    I was hesitant but since it had "Racing" in the title, I bought it.

And for anyone that has not read it, PLEASE DO!!!
    The book has a bit of everything....it will make you laugh, make you mad, and even make you teary eyed...

The quotes from that book I will never forget....

Great book, Great story
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Well here's something you'll like even more. Once NASCAR heard of the motorsports side of the story they came knocking. Dempsey's response was. Read the title. If it was going to be about NASCAR and rain, the author would have titled it "Standing around the paddock in the rain" and put his foot down killing that possible tangent.
    Nice.

I had a pretty rough time reading it too... all the more relevant since mydog's missing a corner and counting her last race weekends on her remaining paws... but we're making darn sure they're good ones!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Nice.

I had a pretty rough time reading it too... all the more relevant since mydog's missing a corner and counting her last race weekends on her remaining paws... but we're making darn sure they're good ones!
    I just got teary eyed... enjoy all the time you have!

Stephen

I have to give my wife credit... I am Still reading

I read it during the flights to and from colorado.

It was very interesteing because some of the races that are mentioned in the book I was working at. It made me think of what car was he possibly talking about if it was based on facts.

In either case.. good book.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    I read it during the flights to and from colorado.

It was very interesteing because some of the races that are mentioned in the book I was working at. It made me think of what car was he possibly talking about if it was based on facts.

In either case.. good book.
    I was reading in a part of his biography and it meantioned him running a Miata.
    It didnt say what class or anything....

But it did mentioned he wrecked pretty good at an event (couldnt remember which one)
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

A simply amazing read on so many different levels. I (unfortunately) chose to read it on a business trip with my then brand new boss and had to hope that he wouldn't notice me tearing up all the way from Houston to NY.

Read it, and then give it to your non-driving loved ones to read. The Enzo "hot lap" section is as close to explaining why we all do this as anything I've ever read.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_honda View Post
    I was reading in a part of his biography and it meantioned him running a Miata.
    It didnt say what class or anything....

But it did mentioned he wrecked pretty good at an event (couldnt remember which one)

Garth ran Spec Miata in the Pacific Northwest. The last wreck ended the car, at Pacific Raceways I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I just got teary eyed... enjoy all the time you have!
    Oh, we do...

Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

My boss loaned me that book because he thought I'd enjoy it. Man, I still hate those in-laws!!

Bob Clifton
    (Who enjoys racing in the rain)
    ITB Dodge Daytona

Default Thread-jack!

Did somebody say "threadjack"? No? OK, I'll say it then.

My first novel comes out May 10. It's called Purgatory Chasm, and its hero is a guy who was a talented NASCAR Busch Series racer who looked like he was destined for Cup - until he drank it all away.

Now he's a mechanic and a leg-breaker for his renegade AA group.

Cars are central to the plot, and one of my favorite scenes involves the hero and his dad (also a former racer, also a drunk) racing old cop cars around a quarter-mile dirt bullring.

In the next month or so, you can expect much more unseemly self-promotion from me.

Here's the Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...steve+ulfelder

Here's the starred review from Publishers Weekly, a closely watched trade rag: http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-312-67292-8

Steve
    05 ITR
    Flatout Motorsports
    www.ulfelder.com

Steve Ulfelder
    Author of Purgatory Chasm and The Whole Lie
    www.ulfelder.com