Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: January Fastrack

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    If this is so obvious to you, shouldn't the ITAC know this from their own conclusions?

For myself, Flatout bought the dyno where my car was tuned and the info wasn't given. Originally I wasn't all that thrilled that the info wasn't deleted prior to the purchase, but whatever. The new motor on dynos purchased from the same place shows less hp than the previous one. Grrrr. I've heard reasons why this might be shown on the dyno but not in reality. Who knows; it's just a tuning tool. Right? So even if dyno numbers are provided, or someone "knows" it's making X hp and X torque........
    At first I though Andy was talking about me!! LOL Then I did the math and said "not even close!!"
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Assuming that we haven't processed most of the cars in B, but just the more popular/front running ones, do we "fix" (if it is in fact off, Gary's post suggests it may not be) the power weight ratio and readjust the already processed cars?
    Either way not everyone is going to be happy. I'm not convinced we've processed the more popular/front running cars in B yet. Another reason why I think there should be a date listed in the GCR for when each car is run through the process going forward.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    James, what computer are you running on that car?
    It's got an Electromotive Tec II.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Supposed to be a good system. That's probably not the issue.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Wow, that's some thread! First off, I hope everyone had a good holiday season and a Happy New Year. I started reading this a couple of days ago, and got pulled away. Just got around to finishing it. Unfortunately, I don't remember all the stuff from the previous 10 pages, and I don't have the time right now to re-read them. So for now, here are my two comments based on what I remember about the bulk of the thread:

1) It's acknowledged that twin-cam 16v motors in B and C use a 1.3 power factor, yet that same architecture in A, S, and R uses a 1.25 power factor. If this is truly the way it is, I can't imagine how anyone on the ITAC ever signed off on it. Different power gains for the same architecture, based only on class difference, when the prep rules are the same for all the classes? Really? And you expect people to buy that? Really?

2) The way I read it is, the Daytona / Laser is moving to C next year, but for this year, while it remains in B, it gets to run at the C weight. Is this correct? If so, what kind of shenanigans is that? A car gets its weight set based on a number of factors, including which class it will run in. How do you let a car run in a higher class at the lower class weight? Really? And people are supposed to buy that? Really?

As far as fixing mistakes goes, well, I think most of the folks around here know I how feel about that. Actually, that's not fair. Legit mistakes are just that, mistakes. It's cases where you have somebody in a position of influence, boning specific cars, where it's not a mistake any more. You know, guys that say "It's a 4A-GE, you do know that that's an Atlantic motor, don't you?"

Nice to see everyone again!
    Last edited by Bill Miller; 01-10-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Not sure what happend, all the paragraphs went away when I hit Submit

Bill, I can't argue with you on 1. I understand where the guys who are advocating 1.3 are coming from, but I disagree with them.

On 2, let us explain. Using teh process, the Daytona/Laser should be at some ungodly low weight in ITB -- like 2000 lbs. They'll never make it, so they are getting processed and going to C. Their "processed" C weight is still LOWER than their present B weight (when it should be much higher if the B weight had been set by the process), but also much higher than what their "process" weight in ITB is. So they should pose no threat to the existing ITB cars.

That's the "why it is ok for one year" explanation. Here's the "why it has to be done this way." Apparently, we were within the deadline for fixing the weight via a technical correction for 2011 but not for moving it to C. So, we decided to give the drivers of these cars -- who were stuck with a weight somethign like 650 lbs over process weight in ITB -- a head start. They can now modify to make their weight in C, run in B this year, and then move to C next.

They won't be competitive in B this year, so no harm no foul.

That's the thinking. No shenanigans, just how it played out.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Bill, I can't argue with you on 1. I understand where the guys who are advocating 1.3 are coming from, but I disagree with them.

On 2, let us explain. Using teh process, the Daytona/Laser should be at some ungodly low weight in ITB -- like 2000 lbs. They'll never make it, so they are getting processed and going to C. Their "processed" C weight is still LOWER than their present B weight (when it should be much higher if the B weight had been set by the process), but also much higher than what their "process" weight in ITB is. So they should pose no threat to the existing ITB cars.

That's the "why it is ok for one year" explanation. Here's the "why it has to be done this way." Apparently, we were within the deadline for fixing the weight via a technical correction for 2011 but not for moving it to C. So, we decided to give the drivers of these cars -- who were stuck with a weight somethign like 650 lbs over process weight in ITB -- a head start. They can now modify to make their weight in C, run in B this year, and then move to C next.

They won't be competitive in B this year, so no harm no foul.

That's the thinking. No shenanigans, just how it played out.
    Jeff,

What's the logic from those that are advocating for 1.3 only for B and C, and not A, S, and R? I'd really like to see how someone can claim 1.25 for one group and 1.3 for another, when the prep rules are the same, and the architecture is the same.

As far as the Daytona / Laser issue, while I really like to see the process stand on its own, and I'm not really a fan of 'special cases', I'm also pragmatic enough to see where the occasional deviation is warranted. Based on your explanation, I'm satisfied that this indeed is one of those cases. I respectfully withdraw my shenanigans comment and will say that you guys did a nice job of handling a tough situation. I would have liked to see it go straight to C this year, but I understand that there are bureaucracy issues around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
    Jeff,

What's the logic from those that are advocating for 1.3 only for B and C, and not A, S, and R? I'd really like to see how someone can claim 1.25 for one group and 1.3 for another, when the prep rules are the same, and the architecture is the same.

As far as the Daytona / Laser issue, while I really like to see the process stand on its own, and I'm not really a fan of 'special cases', I'm also pragmatic enough to see where the occasional deviation is warranted. Based on your explanation, I'm satisfied that this indeed is one of those cases. I respectfully withdraw my shenanigans comment and will say that you guys did a nice job of handling a tough situation. I would have liked to see it go straight to C this year, but I understand that there are bureaucracy issues around that.
    Didn't you read my rant's Bill? All manufactures in ITA/ITS and ITR that start with -B- automatically get a 1.3 power adder, even when they only make 1.1% more power
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Well, no. That's not correct. The 4 cylinder BMWs do not get that power multiplier.

Look, the 2.8 as an unknown animal before ITR. It might not make but 25% more. Send in your build sheet and dyno plots, and a request to move it to 25% and it will be considered.

Thanks.

Jeff
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Didn't you read my rant's Bill? All manufactures in ITA/ITS and ITR that start with -B- automatically get a 1.3 power adder, even when they only make 1.1% more power
    That's not true, and you can remove the "b", and it's still not true.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Well, no. That's not correct. The 4 cylinder BMWs do not get [the 30%] multiplier.
    Even the E30 M3 was run through at 25%...

Well, no. That's not correct. The 4 cylinder BMWs do not get that power multiplier.

Look, the 2.8 as an unknown animal before ITR. It might not make but 25% more. Send in your build sheet and dyno plots, and a request to move it to 25% and it will be considered.

Thanks.

Jeff
    So how does a 7 hp difference equate to a 220lb difference between the 1.8 Miata and the 1.9 BMW? Where's the 50lb weight break for having struts? It should be more like a 60lb difference.

As for my motor, expect to see mulitple dyno plots once I get it back togeather.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

So how does a 7 hp difference equate to a 220lb difference between the 1.8 Miata and the 1.9 BMW? Where's the 50lb weight break for having struts? It should be more like a 60lb difference.

As for my motor, expect to see mulitple dyno plots once I get it back togeather.
    The Miata GETS +50 for double wishbone. Strut cars do not get -50 in addition.

1994 Miata 1.8 = 128hp
    1996 Z3 1.9 = 138hp

The Z3 1.9 should weigh 2500lbs in ITA. Write a letter.

If the ITAC had agreed to pass the 'rear' suspension adder, difference would be 80lbs. (2420-2500)
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

The Z3 1.9 should weigh 2500lbs in ITA. Write a letter.
    The cost of a stamp to lose 100 lbs off of the current spec weight? Not a bad deal (assuming it goes through)..
    -noam

On racing hiatus for a while
    NER SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by nlevine View Post
    The cost of a stamp to lose 100 lbs off of the current spec weight? Not a bad deal (assuming it goes through)..
    Noem,

You can do it electornically now... It's how mine lost 35lbs a year ago.

Andy,

Is the 131bhp not for the BP-ZE motor not for the domestic market?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-5

For the 1994 model year, the first-generation MX-5 was freshened with the introduction of the more powerful 1.8 L (110 cu in) BP-ZE engine, dual airbags and a limited slip differential in some markets. The chassis was substantially braced to meet new side-impact standards, most visibly by adding a "track bar" between the seatbelt towers inside the car, but also to the front and rear subframes. Also, 1994 and 1995 were the only years in which Mazda offered a light metallic blue paint (Laguna Blue Mica), making these cars rare collectors cars to some. 1994 also saw the introduction of the "R" package, a sport-themed package with Bilstein shocks and subtle underbody spoilers, in addition to the removal of unnecessary items such as power steering. No body style changes were made, however.
    The new 1.8 L (110 cu in) engine produced 98 kW (131 bhp), which was then increased to 99 kW (133 bhp) for the 1996 model year. The base weight increased to 990 kg (2,200 lb). Performance was improved slightly, the additional power being partly offset by the extra weight. In some markets such as Europe, the 1.6 L (98 cu in) engine continued to be available as a lower-cost option, but was detuned to 66 kW (89 bhp). This lower-powered model did not receive all the additional chassis bracing of the new 1.8 L (110 cu in). Japanese and US cars were fitted with an optional Torsen LSD, which was far more durable than the previous viscous differential.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Noem,

Andy,

Is the 131bhp not for the BP-ZE motor not for the domestic market?
    128hp bro.

http://www.miata.net/faq/miatachanges.html
    Andy Bettencourt

No dog in this particular hunt, but if we're using either of the references in the last two posts (wikipedia.org & miata.net) as "official" word on the horsepower of a particular make/model, isn't that pissing into the proverbial wind? Just a little?
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    No dog in this particular hunt, but if we're using either of the references in the last two posts (wikipedia.org & miata.net) as "official" word on the horsepower of a particular make/model, isn't that pissing into the proverbial wind? Just a little?
    It's a valid point but I am just citing a reference for the correct number.

116hp 1990-1993
    128hp 1994-1995
    133hp 1996-1997
    Andy Bettencourt

Jeff, since I don't get to hear from the other people, what is the logic of the other members that B&C multi vavle engines get the 130% but the other classes get 125%?

If the numbers are to represent the percent gain of a possible engine. how does simply changing a car class change it expected gain in IT trim?

not basing anyone I just don't understand.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    Jeff, since I don't get to hear from the other people, what is the logic of the other members that B&C multi vavle engines get the 130% but the other classes get 125%?

If the numbers are to represent the percent gain of a possible engine. how does simply changing a car class change it expected gain in IT trim?

not basing anyone I just don't understand.
    Magic!