Thread: STL Chassis Builds?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    The ITR chassis reinforcements are fairly irrelevant in STL, given no restriction on cage points and allowance for seam welding. If we did allow it, the B18C5 would maintain its exclusion in the class. Built to STL prep, the only functional difference between a Type R and a RS-sourced build would be the 5-bolt wheels, for which you'd have significantly fewer (and probably more expensive) options for wheels.

If someone wants to take a rare Type R and put in a K20 or a GSR engine to go run STL, knock yourself out. Silly, but whatever.

And, to the general point (I wonder if we'd like to move these chassis discussions into its own topic, and hash them out further there? Edit: done. - GA) if the only major problem with STL regs is what chassis should/should not be included/excluded, then that's actually not an insurmountable problem. It's something easily discussed, changed (even within the "rules year"), and accommodated.

GA
    I thought in another forum you said that the STL rules were set for 2012 and "are what they are" for this season? Unless of course you mean that the CRB may exclude a car for the 2013 season? I thought about building for STL but not with this leaf blowing going on for a season already underway. I could get get caught with my pants down building according to the rules that appear subject to change at any time even though the philosophy and rules are in the 2012 GCR. No thanks. 2 potential thought they were good ideas are now terrible can get caught with a big cost outlay paperweight ideas.
    Last edited by RacingmySi; 01-10-2012 at 10:09 PM.

According to Drago for STL he took out his plate only. He also mentioned that while he took his plate out he didn't make the appropriate fuel pressure adjustment and screwed himself up a bit. He wasn't trying to win STL either, just track time. Keanes car was over 200 pounds heavy, and not fully STL built yet but ran 236's on Sunday and still fast enough for a couple of off's and still finished on the boxes. I didn't think he had coil overs yet either but maybe that is wrong,
    Last edited by RacingmySi; 01-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingmySi View Post
    I thought in another forum you said that the STL rules were set for 2012 and "are what they are" for this season?
    They are. The Board of Directors of the SCCA has declared that no preparation rules will change within the racing season.

However, that does not mean that competition adjustments cannot be made. From what I understand, while the "rules" will not change (i.e., don't expect to get any alternate control arms approved in 2012) adjustments such as (but not limited to?) weights, restrictors, tire sizes, and classifications/adjustments of cars are well within the authority of the CRB within the competition year. And that goes not just for Super Touring, but for all other SCCA categories as well.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    They are. The Board of Directors of the SCCA has declared that no preparation rules will change within the racing season.

However, that does not mean that competition adjustments cannot be made. From what I understand, while the "rules" will not change (i.e., don't expect to get any alternate control arms approved in 2012) adjustments such as (but not limited to?) weights, restrictors, tire sizes, and classifications/adjustments of cars are well within the authority of the CRB within the competition year. And that goes not just for Super Touring, but for all other SCCA categories as well.

GA
    I thought there was a specific rule in the GCR for car classifications that specifically says car classifications by 1 December for the following year yeda-yada, no and car classifications don't happen during the year. I don't recall the BOD/CRB making a car classification in years in fact mid stream. The shit storm this caused before is what specifically led to the rule I mention above and would clearly cause a shit storm in this case.

adjustments for tires, weights, restrictions are made as competition adjustments (this too in GCR), not as a pre-curser for what could be or someone builds it stuff. Big slippery slope STL is and it hasn't even started cept 1 weekend.
    Last edited by RacingmySi; 01-10-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Tim, if that's correct, then it's the responsibility of the CRB/BoD to catch those kind of recommendations. And, in the end, if they happen then they're easily protestable, n'est pa? $25 for the win, baby!

Come play in the small sandbox with us, you'll like it.

GA