Thread: Converting a SM to a full ITA ride "build"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I ran the same time as my track 2007 record at the 2012 NARRC Runoffs with teh extra poundage...the only thing holding the car back is a fresh driver. Getting on the track once a year just isn't good enough from a driver skill standpoint. It's a mid 1:00 car there. It's been 1:00.8 with less power.

I do think the 1.6 could be a fine LRP car but that is an anomaly of a track. Trust me when I say that a full-tilt 1.8 ITA car at WGI is a low 2:16 car all day long. All you need to have is a 'Leverone' who will drive anything anywhere to validate.

The biggest advantage is the torque output and curve of the 1.8. Something I highly value.

If you want wrong-wheel drive, go for it! Just make it an ITR car!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I ran the same time as my track 2007 record at the 2012 NARRC Runoffs with teh extra poundage...the only thing holding the car back is a fresh driver. Getting on the track once a year just isn't good enough from a driver skill standpoint. It's a mid 1:00 car there. It's been 1:00.8 with less power.

I do think the 1.6 could be a fine LRP car but that is an anomaly of a track. Trust me when I say that a full-tilt 1.8 ITA car at WGI is a low 2:16 car all day long. All you need to have is a 'Leverone' who will drive anything anywhere to validate.

The biggest advantage is the torque output and curve of the 1.8. Something I highly value.

If you want wrong-wheel drive, go for it! Just make it an ITR car!
    Even though I've never driven it, I know well enough to know that VIR and LRP are 2 entirely different tracks.

Am I wrong in thinking that the only difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 is the motor and dash? If so, couldn't I just do like I did with the carbed ITC CRX and convert it over? The GCR allows for this.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

There's a thread somewhere here on making a 1.8 ITA out of a 1.6 in ITA. It's more work than you think. Just ask Jim Alley.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    There's a thread somewhere here on making a 1.8 ITA out of a 1.6 in ITA. It's more work than you think. Just ask Jim Alley.
    +1
    Andy Bettencourt

hoop - make sure you still have the 1.6L rear end in that car, 1.8L parts are legal in SM And NOT in ITA.

the 1.6L doesn't have a throttle position sensor "really". it has a button that tells the ECU "yup, It's open". mazda did the same on the S4 engine RX7s - maybe even later. ITCS allows you to add or replace a TPS. do so - it will pay big dividends with the ECU, and an MSPNP can be made to work with just about any TPS.

I think the 1.6L properly done should be a reasonable A car. have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post

the 1.6L doesn't have a throttle position sensor "really". it has a button that tells the ECU "yup, It's open". mazda did the same on the S4 engine RX7s - maybe even later. ITCS allows you to add or replace a TPS. do so - it will pay big dividends with the ECU, and an MSPNP can be made to work with just about any TPS.
    Both of those cars came with the flapper-style AFM. Later cars had the MAF.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    I'm glad to have picked up that car :-)
    #08 ITA/STL Miata

Interested to hear/see what you're doing here Hoop. I just picked up a 1.6 after renting a friends this past season and I'll be converting to ITA sometime after 2014. I'll be running in ITA in SM trim through May, then I gotta be busy as a baby daddy so that'll give me the rest of 2014 to be better prepped for ITA.

See ya on the track!
    Morgan Mehler
    NC Region
    ITA/SM '91 Miata
    ITB '84 GTI - The Brick - FOR SALE

Miata Miata Miata, stop hitting the easy button and build something different, I need something I can draft with, all these little dam miatas.) rebuilding my focus after one long year and I am already behind.

Quote Originally Posted by MSPERBER View Post
    Miata Miata Miata, stop hitting the easy button and build something different, I need something I can draft with, all these little dam miatas.) rebuilding my focus after one long year and I am already behind.
    How 'bout a CRX?
    Dave O'Maley
    ITA '91 CRX
    Race Technology/Motion Control Suspension/Tri-State Warbird Museum

Quote Originally Posted by MSPERBER View Post
    Hold your horses. My Protege is at the fab shop getting the cage put in it. I'm hoping the suspension for the autoX car shows up in a week or two so I can move the old Konis back onto the Protege.