Thread: STx Notes, December Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    STO/U boxes are free, up to 6 ratios. I see no requirement in the rule s(dec fastrack) that the box be OEM. sequentials (A'La XTRAC) have a weight penalty.

STL boxes can be in-brand swaps "in their entirety" and/or "retrofitting OEM complete gear sets"

so it depends on which ST you want to play in. any ratios in U, like the prof is looking at, any VW/Audi trans or gearstack in L, so long as the ratio set is as delivered in some car from the family in the USA. ...
    Now I'm questioning what I thought I just learned.

In STL, does the entire "gear set" - so ALL OF THE GEARS, 1st-5th - have to be "retrofitted" in their entirety, or can EACH "gear PAIR" be retrofitted (potentially from different sources) to end up with optimized spacing 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5...?

Put differently, do I have to point at a chart of all of the gears in their original location and say, "We used these five"...? That as opposed to, 1st came from the stock '92 Golf GL, 2nd from a '97 Golf III, 3rd and 4th from a MkII Jetta diesel, and 5th from an '84 GTI...

Again - I'm looking at STL.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Again - I'm looking at STL.
    STL rule states:

"Either the OEM transmission or an alternate transmission must be used; the alternate transmission must be from the same manufacturer as the vehicle (e.g., an Acura transmission may be installed in a Honda car). Alternate transmissions must be used in their entirety. Retrofitting OEM complete gear sets in an alternate transmission case is permitted."

STU rule states:

"Transmission and ratios are free. Forward gears are limited to 6 speeds."

On edit: BTW, that's something I missed, too; I was expecting you could mix-n-match gears. Honestly, I'd prefer you be allowed to...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 01-03-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    STL rule states:
    On edit: BTW, that's something I missed, too; I was expecting you could mix-n-match gears. Honestly, I'd prefer you be allowed to...
    one of the many reasons STL makes no sense as written. good IDEA, needs garlic.