Thread: MyLAPS SURVEY

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The new TRANSPONDER will be cheaper. But it'll cost you $75/year to use it.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    The new TRANSPONDER will be cheaper. But it'll cost you $75/year to use it.
    How can that possibly be enforced? Will it still register a hit across the line? If not, why not?

Are you going to have to remove the device from the car every year to "re-register" its functions online? If so, I'm guessing 32 microseconds before someone hacks that.

Or is the $75 just a fee to get access to your data online? If that's the case, this company values its online "services" way too much and has no effin clue about its user base. It should be paying me $75 to give a sh*t.

GA

go read the survey information- answers all your questions.

Cliff's Notes: USB-based dongle is loaded with subscription key and communicates with transponder. The transponder itself has an internal clock that stops working at XXX date unless the key is renewed.

It's a way for them to force people to continue to pay for transponder vs. a single one-time hit. Forcing themselves into a constant income stream- capitalism, baby!
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

Quote Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
    go read the survey information- answers all your questions.
    Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Never got a survey.

Time for a change. With them now trying to get $75/person/year - for every org that uses AMB transponders - there will be a wave of capital available for anyone willing to purse a more open-source model. If I had the electronics and coding background I'd be burning up my Internet connection setting up a Kickstarter account.

Someone will. You can count on it.

GA
    This forum needs a "like" button for these kind of moments. While I'm not positive someone will take on the open source challenge that tGA suggests I am sincerely hoping it comes to pass. The market is definitely in need of some competition and this isn't rocket science.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Competition: http://www.raceceiver.com/Drivers/sh...iming&scoring/

$200 for a hardwired transponder beats $480 or a subscription based service.

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post

A group that I time-trial with (COM Sports Car Club) has started using the HardCard system. It's not ideal, but mostly works for our time trials when there are only 4-5 cars on track at a time. We've had problems on cars with metallic glass. Miatas and Corvettes also are problematic (go figure).
    #08 ITA/STL Miata