Thread: Super Touring is IT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

James, you have to assume that the "real" STU car that shows up is the best package for the ruleset, not the same car as your ITR car. It'll probably be something around 2000cc (2200 lbs) that makes the same or more power as an ITR car (up to about 250hp), and it'll handle way better, have a much stiffer chassis, and have aerodynamic aids.

It doesn't matter what ITR car shows up against that thing ... the ITR car won't win.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Super Touring is IT?
    Answer - NO

Can you take your ITO, ITR, ITS, ITE, and run with a World Challenge GT or TC?
    Answer - NO

As an IT racer that raced in the very first BP race at Sebring in January '07, and the very last one in November '08, I can tell you there is no way you can kid yourself in to thinking that you have any shot against a current WC team.

Brandon Davis is reported to have spent 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS of his own money building & developing EACH MUSTANG.

However, if you accept that you dont have a chance on outright speed, you can have a pretty good time and win some races when the WC teams dont show or break.

Also, you get to do some pretty cool mods to your car that IT racers can only dream about. Such as: Strech the wheelbase. Custom design your own rear suspension and not have to worry about using roll bar padding as your bushing material and an ifninite number of attachment points on your roll cage.

One side benifit to racing in BP/STO, I get a lot of compliments on my Mustang from 'ordinary' people at the track.
    No 'ordinary' person ever came up to me an said, 'nice RX7'.
    ('ordinary' = non-racer)
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    James, you have to assume that the "real" STU car that shows up is the best package for the ruleset, not the same car as your ITR car. It'll probably be something around 2000cc (2200 lbs) that makes the same or more power as an ITR car (up to about 250hp), and it'll handle way better, have a much stiffer chassis, and have aerodynamic aids.

It doesn't matter what ITR car shows up against that thing ... the ITR car won't win.
    To get the full allowance of the rules, you'd have to start out with either a solid axle or semi-trailing arms, then transplant the rear suspension from a formula car ( fabricated suspension option.) The car would need a two liter option too. There's not a weight break for front wheel drive, so that's probably out at the 250hp level (maybe.) The stated purpose for allowing WC/TC cars, would also put them at a distict disadvantage too. According to the current VTS sheet for the TC e46 325 it should weigh 2750lbs with a speced stock cam, and ferrous flywheel, same as an ITR e36 325. Rules are silent on intake manifolds, so that's got to remain stock, and fuel injectors have to be in the stock location. So probably, unless the motor makes close to 200hp stock (probably with revs) there's not much chance for a 2liter making 250hp with cam and porting allowed and stock cranks. So I doubt there's an ideal car according to the current rules, but a Z3 coupe with an M-42 transplant and a fabricated rear suspension might be close.

Short of that, I say we could probably take'em.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 12-19-2008 at 12:07 AM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Actually it should be like most 12 step programs where the CRB and BOD stand up and admit they screwed up. My name is XXXXX and I created a class that nobody wanted that bypassed all the rules to become national. Instead we tweak it to keep it alive in an already too crowded class structure. Trophy for everyone that shows up!!
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Steve made me laugh on what promises to be a very awful Friday.

Thanks, Steve!

K

Reading the rules, looks more like a new Prod class, with a simpler rule set. This is a good thing, IF it were a new prod class, but instead it is just an additional class.

BUT - a 16v scirocco with 12:1, open .600 cam, open fuel injection, open trans, lighter/better brakes, head porting to fix VWs crappy exhaust port, 1980lb. Sounds like a fun car that would cost the same as a full tilt prod car, but should be a bit easier to operate.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

so would this new class start up new contingencies?? or would the guys running the IT cars still be under the regional ones??
    james

Rules allow IT port on intake manifolds as I read them.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com