Thread: Cold-Air Intakes (CAI) for 88-91 CRX Illegal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do the FI engines and the carb engines differ? I know the carb engine brought air in through the fender well holes. How about the FI engine?

Same, essentially. A flexible tube ran from the AFM to a large square air box with the filter that was attached to the fender hole on the passenger side of the car. The driver's side, unlike the carb car, was not used.

The air box was very restrictive and apparently putting a cone filter simply in the area of the hole (engine side) was worth 5-10 hp.

I still think best place to take in air is under the grate at the base of the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    How do the FI engines and the carb engines differ? I know the carb engine brought air in through the fender well holes. How about the FI engine?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

My Honda's are displeased that there's VW, Triumph, & Volvo talk in their forum. They're kind of elitist.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Aw, Ruck, go roll your car and then win the ARRC or something!

Seriously, generically speaking, which side of the Air Snake debate are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    My Honda's are displeased that there's VW, Triumph, & Volvo talk in their forum. They're kind of elitist.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

>> If there is space to allow a tube to run up to the grill without modifying anything I would think it would be legal as long as it wasn't mounted flush up to the grill. If it was mounted say 1" behind the grill it is essentially getting air that is from inside the engine compartment. Now if it was mounted directly to the grill then the air is from outside the engine compartment as it never really entered the engine compartment. What are your thoughts on this?

I personally don't think that's intorturtation. We do a conceptually similar thing on my Golf, having cut up the bottom (pre-filtered) side of the air box to allow it to pull air from the vicinity of the space behind/below the front bumper, on the outside toward the fender well.

One data point: We punched out (well, Greg A punched out) a right side headlight at the Summit 12 hours. I seem to recall that Cameron came away from that convinced, based on data on the DL1, that the ECU got smarter as it figured out that cool air was being packed into that space, and adapted to make more power.

K

KK

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I still think best place to take in air is under the grate at the base of the hood.
    Without real pressure readings I don't think I could make that call. Too much lore in TR8 land, just like the Jensen. I have a pressure sensor and datalogging meter if you wish to explore that.